Subs blew.. what could of gone wrong?

If anyone knows this and could help me that'd be great. Tryin to look for an amp to hold me over till i get new subs. Like i said, the sub was just temporary until i got the new subs, and the old sub was going to my friend... So im not real concerned on quality for now. Im just looking for some bass on a budget lol

If anyone knows this and could help me that'd be great. Tryin to look for an amp to hold me over till i get new subs. Like i said, the sub was just temporary until i got the new subs, and the old sub was going to my friend... So im not real concerned on quality for now. Im just looking for some bass on a budget lol
You can use your current amp, you just gotta turn off bass boost and turn down your gain. Do you have another sub? You can't use the sub you blew.

You can use your current amp, you just gotta turn off bass boost and turn down your gain. Do you have another sub? You can't use the sub you blew.
I plan on getting another. Just wanted to know if it was even reasonable to use with this amp or i should wait for my buddy to get his amp and use his. Would wiring in series to 8 ohm help though? Thanks for the help

Amp gain is to match the headunit with the amp. Doesnt matter what subs you use for it but affects how the amp gets power from the head unit.

I do not have my legit final setup yet with my subs. That does NOT matter when setting the gain though right? I can do it with anything because its just with the amp and headunit. I know some of you said I was probably sending a clipped signal, was it because of the bass boost do you think? I know there is no way to know for sure... But the gain was not changed all that much.

Ohm is power resistance. Lower the ohm the more power, higher the ohms the more power. If the amp is pushing out more watts wire to higher ohms

Im going to wire the sub this time to 8 ohms. Is that too high, should I stick with it in parallel at 2?

Bass Boost CAN clip signal. If i turn down volume i can turn up bass. But high boost on high volume is suicide.

Everything ive read said bass boost is pretty much just all around bad. If i just want some bass and turn the volume down (20-21) and have bass boost on a little, will that hurt it?

Bass boost on amp VS hu VS knob

I have a bass boost on my amp, on my headunit (along with level, extend, q factor, and bass frq), and I have a bass knob with my amp. Do all of these do the same things? Is there one I should avoid and one I could use in situations?

These are all probably really dumb but I really want to understand this stuff. Im getting the same sub again temporarily. What should I do to make sure I dont blow it again? Bass boost off is one.. Properly set gain 2, wire ohm load to 8.... Does this all sound good to you guys?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well im going to try and set my gain tomorow with a DMM. 600(rms of sub)*2(ohm wire up)=1200, square root of that is 34.64. So i should adjust it till my dmm reads 34.64. Have all the eq's set flat, but what about subwoofer level? I should have that turned up to what im going to be running it at, correct? Also, after the gain is set, am i still able to adjust my eq settings? Bass, mid, treble, etc?

Also, my headunit has bass level, extend, q factor, frequency, what do all these mean?

Sorry for the dumb questions i just really want to understand what im doing here

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.