Subs blew.. what could of gone wrong?

Sub in question: Hifonics BRZ15D4

Amp that i think destroyed it: American Bass VFL 4480

Put the sub in, had the gain about 1/5th of the way up.. bass boost goes off, 6+, or 12+... I believe it was on 6+... Volume was at about 29 out of 35. It last about 15-20 seconds of life before it just stopped working. Pulled over and there was smoke coming from the vent. I REALLY do not want to have to wait to get my obsidian audio v3's... What could of been the problem here? Was my amp just too good and the sub couldnt handle it? I figured i would of smelled something, heard something, anything to give me a warning that it couldnt handle anything but it just stopped playing. Give me ANY possibilities of why this could of happened.. Id like to get another 15 until i get these 2 12's but if anything i put in is just gonna blow its just not worth it

What I bet caused the problem here is you matching a low end sub with a mid-to-high level amp. It is true that subs can take more clean power than they are rated, but Hifonics is not by any means known for their subs. You were using too-powerful of an amp on a low quality sub, I'm not surprised.

What I bet caused the problem here is you matching a low end sub with a mid-to-high level amp. It is true that subs can take more clean power than they are rated, but Hifonics is not by any means known for their subs. You were using too-powerful of an amp on a low quality sub, I'm not surprised.

This is what i figured the problem was. I would really like to use a sub while i wait for my obsidian audios (btw, what is your opinion on those and do you think the subs will handle my amp?).. what 15 would you suggest to go along with this amp? Really looking for a budget sub since its only going to be used 1-2 months

This is what i figured the problem was. I would really like to use a sub while i wait for my obsidian audios (btw, what is your opinion on those and do you think the subs will handle my amp?).. what 15 would you suggest to go along with this amp? Really looking for a budget sub since its only going to be used 1-2 months
I've never worked with obsidian audio subs. You should sell me that amp for cheap //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

What's the head unit pre out voltage? Why bass boost at +6 when doubling the rated power?
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X397 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com thats the headunit i have. Honestly did not even know it was at 6+ till i checked after but even if i had known i wouldnt have changed it.. i didnt think it would of made that much a difference

I venture to say they didn't have the 3500's gain cranked.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif man but i barely moved the gain you really think it would of been that dangerous? Lesson learned i guess

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif man but i barely moved the gain you really think it would of been that dangerous? Lesson learned i guess
I was talkin about the you tube vid.That sub(Hifonics) isn't all that bad but it's low grade on a mid level amp.Most likely just overpowered it.Maybe clipped also.

lol, that amps too big for those obsidians too, so you better set your gains with dmm!!!!
meh the OA's will take around 1200 each if the power is clean. Ive actually seen people riding daily with 1500 going to the V2's

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.