Subs are very quiet until volume is at 75% :confused:

peter7del
10+ year member

Ok I'm totally confused about this one...

Here's what I've got, an Alpine HU, an autotek preamp, a powerbass ASA 1100.5 amp, and a 12" Fosgate P3 sub. What's happening is when I first turn on my system, everything turns on fine, the mids and highs are working perfect but the sub is playing at a low volume. The only way that I can make the sub "kick in" is to turn the volume on the HU to about 75%. The strangest part about the whole thing is that this only happens once in a while. I can go for weeks without an issue but after a while, I get in my car, turn on the system and no bass! Anyway, does anyone have a suggestion?

Check all connections. Ground especially. Then next I would try to rule out RCA's.

Best of luck //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Do you happen to have the CDA-117? I have been having some problems ever since I got that deck. I blew a sub, which never should've happened, and cause my amp to blow the fuse and shut off. It is also making my ground cable unstable. Coincidence? I think not. I had the 9885 before, and not a problem. So I just thought I'd check with you, to see if you have the same head unit.

Do you happen to have the CDA-117? I have been having some problems ever since I got that deck. I blew a sub, which never should've happened, and cause my amp to blow the fuse and shut off. It is also making my ground cable unstable. Coincidence? I think not. I had the 9885 before, and not a problem. So I just thought I'd check with you, to see if you have the same head unit.
Actually, my HU was the first Alpine to come out boasting 4volt pre out. It's honestly like 16 or 17 years old lol! It's an awesome deck tho! I know I need to upgrade lol! Unfortunately I'm not sure which model it is, I guess I should go outside and check haha!

Check all connections. Ground especially. Then next I would try to rule out RCA's.
Best of luck //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
I checked every connection, ground is solid. I even did the big 3 ground upgrade. My amp switches fron 2 to 4 to six channels and when I switch to 4 or 2 channels, the bass turns back on but at half the output! Anyway,thanks!

Well I lowered my gains and that helped a little, but I should try taking the preamp out of the pic, good idea! Any reason why I should do this though?

If it's in the signal path, it could be causing problems. By taking it out of the picture, you can slowly eliminate the possibilities one by one. Plus, it's easier to pull out the preamp than to replace the amps or headunit (most likely).

Hey Everyone, I figured it out, I had my high pass gains too high. I turned them down a bit and now the amp only gets slightly warm! The best part is that I can still run the gain for my sub almost all the way up! I dunno, but thanks for everyone's help and input!!!

Thanks Dark Scorpion, I finally got the chance to take the EQ out of the equation, and that turned out to be the culprit! Now it's time to upgrade to an Audiocontrol Four.1i!!!!!

Thanks Dark Scorpion, I finally got the chance to take the EQ out of the equation, and that turned out to be the culprit! Now it's time to upgrade to an Audiocontrol Four.1i!!!!!
No problemo //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.