Subaru Legacy 2010 | LOC Set Up |

Participant count
  • Participant list

jswerve

PA
I currently have a Subaru Legacy 2010 that is still under warranty and wanting to install aftermarket subs/amp without voiding the warranty which specifically states no aftermarket modifications. However, I plan on installing them anyway, and then take them out and hide the wires where there not easily noticed when I go for oil changes and other things.

Anyway, I have developed a system that still has a few bugs but thankfully it's getting better every day. I'm a bit low on money, so I have shortened my upgrades down to just a few things (since my stock stereo already blurs the mirror just a tiny bit) which doesn't break the bank.

SA12

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SA-12D2-SUNDOWN-AUDIO-12-DVC-2-OHM-SA-SUBWOOFER-SUB-/130420415089?pt=Car_Subwoofers_Enclosures&hash=item1e5da99a71

Soundstream STL1.600D 600W

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soundstream-STL1-600D-600W-MONO-BLOCK-CLASS-D-POWER-AMPLIFIER-AUTHORIZED-DEALER-/290898081605?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item43bae07745

First things first, it CAN NOT appear that I have modified the car. So that limits me to the stock head unit, which would be more than obvious if I replaced it. Anyway, I planed on wiring it up to a diagram similar to this..

http://gyazo.com/00175b60d6355a779b2730b14b7c264b

This is where I start to have a little trouble understanding. For starters, what kind of power wire (blue wire) should I be running from the battery. I've seen people say 8 gauge, 10 gauge, and a bunch of other things. But what should I be using? If you could even link be to the best deals that would be great! Exactly what kind of wire should I be running from my amp to my subs? From my converter box to my acc. plug and my speakers? I really need to know exactly what wire I should go in the store and buy.

As far as converter boxes go, what would be the best converter box (high/low or line in line out) should I buy? Also how should I be getting the wire from the speakers? I could not find a wiring diagram anywhere, and my car does not feature back speakers that can be access through the trunk. It appears that I need to access them through door panel? Do I just soder a wire to the speaker and run it, what kind of wire do I soder? Or could I somehow find the wire in a more convenient place before it enters the door and splice it somehow there? (I have a Subaru Legacy 2010)

Also I'm looking for the best enclosure for my steup? I plan on building one in the future but for now I want a prebuilt enclosure. I understand there not the best, but what would be the best one to get?

My last question is with the battery fuse. What fuse should I buy and how far should I place it away from the battery? I've heard many different things from many different people.

Thank you and if anybody finds a diagram for the speakers in my car that would be great. I can't find exactly where to get my front deck speaker wire for my LOC box. Also if you have any tips for hiding things in the easiest way possible when I go take my car in don't hesitate to let me know!

Welcome!

i understand what you are trying to accomplish.

for starters, Crutchfield has a lot of good DIY documentation and diagrams. They will explain the diagram you posted more clearly.

if you run into technical (why/how) questions, Basic Car Audio Electronics is the best resource available.

Power wire: size is based on the expected amplifier current draw which will be recommended by the amp manufacturer or you can base it on amp fuse totals. 8 awg is good for 60A, 4 awg is good for 125A. 4 awg is a nice size to use as it also accounts for voltage drop.

Fuse power wire at the battery, within a few inches. the amp kit you get will include the fuse holder and ring terminals. bcae1.com will also clearly explain this for you. you will need to remove this when taking the car for service (just remove the fuse holder and length to the battery - the rest can be hidden).

Route power wire through the firewall. to look stock, it will need to be in split loom and ran with factory cabling. but here is your first issue - it will be visible in the engine bay unless you are very sneaky with routing through stock grommets.

you will need to intercept factory speaker wires behind the head unit. you will want to solder these connections to make a tap - or you can try and use the Scotch-Lock connectors assuming you get ones that are the right size for the wire used.

all wiring will need to be hidden, i recommend lifting carpet and removing seats on one side of the car for more stealth (and not just under door trim).

at the rear, the amp will need a quick disconnect for power and ground and also speaker wires to the LOC. or you can stash the LOC behind the head unit. Parts Express sells high current disconnects. mount the amp and LOC on a board with quick connects accessible. you can put this on the box for easier removal but the box must be bolted down - be creative with how you hide the hole in the carpet.

instead of a LOC, buy an amp with high level inputs and auto turn-on. otherwise you need to intercept a turn-on signal for the amp as well (which can cause noise if not selected correctly).

I think you can actually contact Subaru and get a adapter cable for the back of the original headunit to be able to run rcas to amps ect. we did this for a Subaru libery gt I think from memory.

does it have the macintosh system in it?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.