Sub started smoking?

WTF is this ****?...

OP. get your self a steak. Slap it on the gril (overheatedamp) then when the subs start smoking, let it paly for 20 minutes. When everything shuts down your steak will be ready to enjoy. be sure to flip the steak between songs.

WTF is this ****?...
OP. get your self a steak. Slap it on the gril (overheatedamp) then when the subs start smoking, let it paly for 20 minutes. When everything shuts down your steak will be ready to enjoy. be sure to flip the steak between songs.
Lol I probably would have laughed, but I realized you didn't read a single post in the thred besides the original.

I'm going to try the oscope method and see what I get...thanks for the help, from everyone who actually read and helped

I am running your same Pioneer sub 3002d4 off of an Orion 2500d amp. I have it wired down for 2 ohms, which pushes the amp to 1700 watts RMS, according to the manual. My sub pounds. Granted, probably not comparable to any sort of competition level sub, but I agree with everyone here that there has to be a severely clipped signal at the root of this problem. In any case, I'm pushing my sub, at least on paper, harder than you are pushing yours and it delivers (for now). Therefore, there is no need for you to reduce the power of your amp.

RMS v. Max wattage: RMS wattage is the typical output wattage of your amp, this is in no way the most it is ever going to put out. That's where "maximum wattage" comes into play. Although you can rarely trust manufacturers ratings for wattage, especially max wattage, it is possible and likely that for short musical bursts, your amp will push its max wattage. Think of it operating as a sort of "wattage capacitor" It stores and is capable of (in a quality amp) pushing that maximum wattage for a verrry short burst in the music. Of course once it does, it now draws more electrical current from your system to recover, and if your alt/wiring isn't up to the task, you get even more clipping.

What is stopping you from getting an aftermarket head-unit with RCA preouts? I agree with everyone here that a clipped signal from that head unit's amp will severely screw you up. Also, if it's like most stock head units, it's trashed after a few years.

However, let's not rule out the fact that maybe your pioneer sub was defective out of the box. I've had 3-ways that I've hooked up before and they smoked in minutes (even though they were rated highly). I'm just saying that it could be a fluke that this second sub is smoking from the get go. Unlikely, but possible.

...Also, sorry for posting 3x in a row, but you want to make sure the bass isn't all the way turned down on the HU when you're setting your gain on your amp. If the bass is down you are going to end up adjusting your gain higher than it needs to be to compensate. Gain is the sensitivity of the amp. Any amp can hit with it's full force if something in the music calls for it. Ideally when setting gains you want your EQ to be flat, or on the high side. When your gain is set you want that/those levels on the HU to be the highest listening levels from then on. Hence the volume @ 75% (to avoid the HU clipping during adjustment), then you set your gains, and turn your settings back down. From that point on you should only turn your music down, never higher than what you had when you set your gain(s).

Maybe you knew this, and set it up properly before you turned your bass down, but your sound quality is going to be garbage if not. (although the smoking sub is more important to remedy than any sq issues, I suppose.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.