sub recommendation

Participant count
  • Participant list

steele6794
10+ year member

Boston
Hi, im looking for a little help as im getting overwhelmed. Looking for 1 or 2 subs and SQ is the higher priority. I listen to rock/pop/electronic so Im looking for very musical subs capaple of a strong attack in a properly spec'd ported enclosure. I care about output but not at the risk of sacrificing SQ.

They are going into the trunk of a chevelle coupe so I am not limited by space.
I will be using a ampere 2000.1 amp but may upgrade if needed
I have the big 3 and a 240 machman alt.
Looking to spend around $550 or less total.
front speakers are audiofrog GS690...undecided on tweeters as of now

From my research I really liked the SSA Xcon 15' but it is discontinued and the FI Q 15" looks awesome but is out of stock and I know it could take forever to come back in. How does the SSA Zcon compare to the xcon? I've also always wanted to try the SSA Icon so I was thinking 2 12" icons but they are sold out of the 4 ohm versions. 1 15" Icon a good idea? and lastly how about 2 12" SSA GCONs?

So to wrap it up:
1 15" Icon or Zcon or FI Q (if they
2 12" Gcons or Icons if they come back with 4

SSA GCON would be my choice. They will take that power all day and will sound great doing it. I chose the ICON but it was a toss up honestly. I like that the GCON is at least made in the USA. Kinda wish I would have gotten the GCON now but I’m too wishy washy haha

SSA GCON would be my choice. They will take that power all day and will sound great doing it. I chose the ICON but it was a toss up honestly. I like that the GCON is at least made in the USA. Kinda wish I would have gotten the GCON now but I’m too wishy washy haha
Why would you rather the Gcon? The Icon should be the better sounding sub and capable of more output shouldnt it?

Capable it more output yes but sound better not really. The Gcon is supposed to have more sq. But the Gcon is made here which is cool and it can more than its rating

Hi, im looking for a little help as im getting overwhelmed. Looking for 1 or 2 subs and SQ is the higher priority. I listen to rock/pop/electronic so Im looking for very musical subs capaple of a strong attack in a properly spec'd ported enclosure. I care about output but not at the risk of sacrificing SQ.

They are going into the trunk of a chevelle coupe so I am not limited by space.
I will be using a ampere 2000.1 amp but may upgrade if needed
I have the big 3 and a 240 machman alt.
Looking to spend around $550 or less total.
front speakers are audiofrog GS690...undecided on tweeters as of now

From my research I really liked the SSA Xcon 15' but it is discontinued and the FI Q 15" looks awesome but is out of stock and I know it could take forever to come back in. How does the SSA Zcon compare to the xcon? I've also always wanted to try the SSA Icon so I was thinking 2 12" icons but they are sold out of the 4 ohm versions. 1 15" Icon a good idea? and lastly how about 2 12" SSA GCONs?

So to wrap it up:
1 15" Icon or Zcon or FI Q (if they
2 12" Gcons or Icons if they come back with 4
After asking here about SQ subs I began researching adire audio and xbl motor technology and it is what I'm going with. I kept hearing about how good they sound and after studying the design it's quite impressive. I kept hearing about the brahmas being compared to jlw sevens so I'm going with those or the new kali series.

I would have recommended the Brahma but they seem to be out of budget. But if you go 1 15” you’ll be set. I haven’t installed mine yet but I’m beyond excited

I was reading some of the other threads about Adire and i'm very interested in them now. I will proably hold off on purchasing anything until I hear about your thoughts on the Brahma in comparison to the Icon.

It sounds like I could go the cheaper, more output oriented route with the 2 12" Gcons but if Im actually interrested in SQ than the Brahma or even the CSS SDX. as stated, a single 15" is in my budget or I could get a single 12" and buy another at a later time. Considering every time i've ran a pair of 12s they were sealed and only dual 10's ported a single 15" ported should give me more output than I've ever had and sound very good.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.