Sub placement in a Sedan for SPL no vibrations.

Participant count
  • Participant list

EpicMango
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Colorado
Yea yea, most of you already know my planned system. A single Skar VVX15 sub, in a 3.27CU box after displacment running off an Audiopipe Mini 1000 watt amp, wired at 2 ohms 600 watts RMS going to the sub. I have a 94 Accord. I hate Vibrations. If I place the sub facing into the car, how much dB droppage would I be expecting? Would it still be in the 125ish dB range? I wanna bump loud, be heard from a couple blocks away, when I feel like flexing the system, especially during the summer. Almost 99% of the time, I'll be flexin the system with the rear seats down. Tell me how it is //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

And since we are on the topic, how much would it be to Dynamat my whole trunk so I could just face the sub into the trunk rather into the cabin?

well, if you fire it into the vehicles cabin, you will not lose dB, you will gain it, as long as all of the specs are correct and the right setup is completed. For strictly sol based systems, it has to be calculated for each setup. So, there is no general way to get the most out of it unless you calculate for it or go through a series of tests to see what your vehicle wants to control and what the box and sub will do for it and to it.

But, as far as placement, nothing beats a direct path propagation from source to receiver in output if distance is equal. So firing the port and sub directly to the front of the vehicle would be ideal in a sedan, or any vehicle for that matter.

Some will argue this and say corner loading is the best way, but not for correct sol configuration. Only if you want some musicality in it as well. So, for an SQL type setup, utilizing the gain of the vehicle is ideal to control the response and output. In that case, in a sedan, a blowthrough to the back windshield is ideal....facing up.

But again, this is vehicle and sub and box dependant. But you cannot go wrong with that if the sub likes that type of setup.

So, either facing straight forward, or BT through the rear deck facing up.

Now, as far as port characteristics, and box volume.....that would need to be c,calculated. But, depending on the size constraints of the enclosure, you want to get the largest port possible to couple with the vehicles interior....and this means the largest port that the subwoofer will like also, not just the car.

Does that help?

well, if you fire it into the vehicles cabin, you will not lose dB, you will gain it, as long as all of the specs are correct and the right setup is completed. For strictly sol based systems, it has to be calculated for each setup. So, there is no general way to get the most out of it unless you calculate for it or go through a series of tests to see what your vehicle wants to control and what the box and sub will do for it and to it. But, as far as placement, nothing beats a direct path propagation from source to receiver in output if distance is equal. So firing the port and sub directly to the front of the vehicle would be ideal in a sedan, or any vehicle for that matter.

Some will argue this and say corner loading is the best way, but not for correct sol configuration. Only if you want some musicality in it as well. So, for an SQL type setup, utilizing the gain of the vehicle is ideal to control the response and output. In that case, in a sedan, a blowthrough to the back windshield is ideal....facing up.

But again, this is vehicle and sub and box dependant. But you cannot go wrong with that if the sub likes that type of setup.

So, either facing straight forward, or BT through the rear deck facing up.

Now, as far as port characteristics, and box volume.....that would need to be c,calculated. But, depending on the size constraints of the enclosure, you want to get the largest port possible to couple with the vehicles interior....and this means the largest port that the subwoofer will like also, not just the car.

Does that help?
quality ^^^ also with forward firing you may want to lay down or get rid of the passenger seat to help gain db's and get a better response up front

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.