Sub making weird noise, help?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Josh49

CarAudio.com Newbie
My alpine rw-12d4 recently started making this sort of flapping noise, sort of sounds like a plastic or paper bag is in front of the air port. It only starts making the noise when i turn it up and it actually starts putting out loud bass. I’ve taken it out of the enclosure and it still seems to make the noise. Subsonic filter set to about 30hz, and gain is under half. I’m using a $30 line out converter from amazon to get a signal for the rcas. Still sounds good but the noise is annoying.

Attachments

• B738D3FE-079B-49E7-B1A0-A2EDA23F6D95.MP4
    23.6 MB
Hopefully the veteran members will give feedback to help you out. If your voice coil isn't dragging in the motor, spider triple joint/tinsel leads are not torn.loose, and the cone is still in one piece. I would try a different LOC or amp. Also check gain/settings to make sure you're not clipping the sub. No expert, but I stayed in Holiday Inn express and saw an EXO video with a similar situation and it was the amplifier. If you have access to a Spec A or similar tester to check the sine wave you might be able to diagnose the problem.

I’d hate for it to be the amp. It’s a $600 amp that matches the sub perfectly. Sub also seems to get really hot and smells like something burning/melting after playing for a few minutes at loud volumes. Maybe I’ll try re wiring everything. Had the alpine s series 12” for years and pounded on it and never had an issue like this. If anyone’s else has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated as I’m still dealing with this issue.

your sub is bottoming out (no enclosure) ....... of course its gonna sound like ****, and when in a ported enclosure without enough port area you will get port noise......or your getting distortion from the HU.....and alot of trap/rap music bass lines can sound wonky to begin with...... i dunno hard to diagnose without hearing it in person

Last edited:
Agreed, install it in a box and make sure it’s in sealed n tight with no air gaps round the thang. Feel that is the obvious tho and ur smarter than that so if Then if it persists - could be The polarity wrong to the amp? Or in my experiences it’s usually a LOC that’s the trouble maker. But do what I do and if something ain’t hitting like it should i go to my buddy’s house who has a system that’s playing properly and swap my sub in for theirs real quick and see how it sounds.. then u know if it’s the sub or not..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.