Sub Guidance

theYungSquids

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello guys, I know you guys prob hate threads like this so I'll try to offer the most amount of information I can to make this easy or at least easy for people to scroll pass if they don't care to respond.

I've always wanted a system from the first time I got in my friends Infinity with 2x JLW7s, but this was years and years ago and I know the sub game has come a long way since then. I am looking to get either a sub or subs that will really slam, but I don't want a lot of distortion. I do listen to rock, metal and indie but generally speaking hip hop is my 80% played list bass won't hinder my music playlist too much.

I've looked at pretty much only Sundown and JL which makes me pretty small brained but anyway I'll share what I've been looking at thus far.

-2x 12' SA's
-1x 12' X
-1x 12 Zv5
-1x 13 W7

I've even entertained doing this setup for the simplicity as I am sure this would meet my needs. Before I start ringing stuff up I figured I'd post here.

https://www.down4soundshop.com/sundown-audio-sa-12-dual-loaded-vented-enclosure/

I got a Cement Gray TT Edition 2013 FJ Cruiser that is pretty much a unused car. It's setup for rock crawling so any rear space can be used without incident.

First off there is a lot more than just the subs to deal with
You need an amp
Are you changing your HU or are you going to keep your stock one.
If so what LOC/DSP are you putting in.
The more power you run the more electrical upgrades you will need but if you keep it to below 2000 watts you can get away with a better battery and the big 3 depending the output and state and grace of your alt
That being said I agree with Bobby on the 2 SA 12's but not in that prefab box.
If your not handy with a saw and screws that have someone make one for you that will fit in your desired space. Building them is not that hard. Designing them on the other hand is nervous breakdown that I am not signing myself up for.

If you're looking for suggestions for an amp to run them take a look at the Sundown SFB-2000

You need to make sure you can fit whatever subs you want in your vehicle. I see many people first starting off that buy subs without knowing if a proper box can be made for that space. Measure out your cargo area before you buy, plan on where you want to put stuff.

I agree with the 2 sa-12's. I like sa-12's a lot, good woofers. Just did a box for 6 of the 12's. I expect it to sound good, the sa-12's are awesome like that.

Thank you thus far for your responses.

I am replacing the head unit, I was looking at a few Kentwood models at the moment. If anyone has some recommendations I would be fine with that.

I will be getting a new battery, alternator, wiring and having a guy install everything who does local rigs around here whenever I complete my build. I am in no way rushing into this as I have about 6 hobbies, so research goes first. The box will be the first item I purchase which is why I am trying to track down which sub is for me.

I just need to figure out my balance and then move on from there. I truly am a basshead that is for sure I just don't know if I want to sacrafice quality for some hardbass. But I want to build a system where even audio heads are like damn, that's loud.

When I was younger, I had 2x tweeter/15/15 sub towers and 2x tweeter, horn, 12 subs from cerwin vega and man was that loud as hell in my room but it also slammed. Guess I'm chasing that?

When I was younger, I had 2x tweeter/15/15 sub towers and 2x tweeter, horn, 12 subs from cerwin vega and man was that loud as hell in my room but it also slammed. Guess I'm chasing that?
Nice. I started this way as well. My first new car subs were hooked up to a Fisher home amp with a Teac cassette player. I was around 12, just fascinated by the systems in the cholo's cars. I loved those listening sessions. I built the box as well. My dad was a jack of all trades, so there was no shortage of tools.

When you're looking for a HU just add 4 volt (or higher) preouts into the list of things you want from it.
Everyone has their own list of qualities they want from one so find one that works for you
Like with phones some people like Apple some like Android it doesn't make one worse than the other.
I think the 2 SA 12's will do what you need
Hard hitting bass with good sound quality
The box is key to making them sound good, get it done right and you won't be disappointed

I would definitely go with the 2 SA 12’s if you can fit it. Buck can design you a box and trust me, he really really cares and will make the best box he can with your space. They are out of stock atm but the SSA Gcon’s are really great woofers too that will get loud but sound so good doing it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...