Sub firing into open chamber opinions

Psydwaze

I'm looking for opinions or any experiences with this type of box design.

This design is for a AA Assassin 12, 2.2 cu. ft. @ 33hz. Rear firing in trunk of 1998 Honda Civic. The purpose of the chamber is to protect the cone from skateboards, scooters, groceries, or whatever else finds its way into the trunk.

My train of thought is that the open chamber increases and equalizes distance to the rear wall of the trunk as compared to the port. And will minimize cancellation from a sideways or upward firing sub where some soundwaves travel directly into the passenger area and some are reflected from the backwall of the trunk.

Opening of the chamber is roughly 70 square inches or about 60 pecent the surface area of the speaker cone.

ported_box_12-inch_sub.jpg

my subs are in my work van and i build boxes like that for the same reason (tools not skateboards) just dont get the end pannel too close to the sub, leave at least 4 inches and youll be good. they sound great because the end pannel actually 'loads' the sub = better sq.

you will have waves hitting the cone which I believe causes distortion........principle behind deflex pads. Maybe not as big a factor for low notes as mids and highs

you will have waves hitting the cone which I believe causes distortion........principle behind deflex pads. Maybe not as big a factor for low notes as mids and highs
is that why almost every home theatre sub you can buy is downfiring?

= you fail;)

my subs always fire down in my installs. mid 140's with a downfired xxx on about 1600w. it allows for higher output at lower frequencies also.

Great feedback guys. Thanks.

I guess I was just looking for some confirmation on firing the sub into a panel before beginning my build. The home audio examples show that its an accepted loading method, so now I feel better about my design.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.