sub fastener question.

Most people use T nuts to create a threaded insert. Just drill out a hole big enough for the T nut to fit in and then press it in the hole from the opposite side. Then use the bolt you bought that has the same thread design as the T nut to fasten the sub to it.

Most people use the screw to help "pull" the T nut into it's hole/final resting position.

Here is a pic of what i'm talking about. You can get them at lowes in the fastener section. They have tons to choose from.

tnutw.jpg

threaded inserts worked great in my case. you drill a pilot hole, then thread them into it with an allen. mine are 1/4-20. it's a pretty heavy sub though.

t-nuts tend to strip out, hurricane nuts are a bit better, but threaded inserts seem to be the best way to go. how heavy of a sub are you talking?

I used t-nuts on my last install and they seem to work fine. only problem is its hard to keep the back but in place after you put the speaker in...

ie: when u try to push the bolt through to screw it in sometimes it will push out the nut if its not in there tight enough.

i dont mean the metal itself tends to strip out. the spikes tend to tear through the wood and you're left with unattractive options to get the sub back out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.