sub box type

Participant count
  • Participant list

Matador
10+ year member

-= StillBumping =-
Ca
I am planning to get either 1 or 2 10'' 4-ohm DVC Kicker Solo Barics L5s. I have a 4 door accord and i don't wanna use much of my trunk space, what kind of box would give me optimum performance for 2 10'' L5s? what about for just 1 10'' L5? would it make a big difference if i face the subs tor the trunk, or if i just face it towards the front side of the car? what kind of wire would it be better to use to wire the DVCs, like specific gauge or something? thanks for ur help.

Depends on what kind of music you listen to most. If you like rap's boomy type bass then you'll want to go with a ported enclosure, although a ported enclosure will take up more room. Typically you'll get a harder hit if you face them backwards which creates like a loading effect.

If you like jazz or simply tighter, more responsive bass (kick drums) then go with a sealed enclosure, facing forward. You won't get the SPL, especially with 10's, but if you're after precise bass that isn't going to matter to you. This is also your most space saving option. Sealed enclosures are almost always smaller then their ported brothers.

As far as wirering is concerned, depending on what kind of wattage you'll be pushing 12g-14g should be sufficient. I usually go larger then needed becuz it gives me the subconscience illusion that my bass hits harder. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Hope that helps, God bless ya buddy.

i like rap music better, so i prefer the boom bass . hmmm, so i would have to use the same wire to connect the amp to subs, n the VC in the subs?

also, i m running the subs with an audiobahn 2600 amp, which gives 300x2, but i m going to bridge it n power the sub. i am thinkin of gettin another amp, n i m looking at the JBL 1200.1(1200 at 2 ohms) i believe, would i gain much with the more power of the JBL compared to the 600 watts of the audiobahn? the JBL would just give me more continous power, or it would give me more deeped type of bass i guess? thanks for ur help

The 10" Solobaric L5's are rated at 450w RMS, 900w max.... a JBL 1200.1 pushes 1200w RMS. You run that much wattage to those subs and you'll fry your VC's. I would run your Audiobahn bridged to 2-10"'s wired in parallel (making sure you run the SAME mono signal to BOTH the spkr's VC's). That will send about 600w to them. The key thing is to make sure the gain on your amp is set correctly. If it's too high and you push your system regularly (who doesn't), then that too may eventually harm your VC's. If your gain is set correctly the extra wattage will not hurt them, (it will actually help as I understand it) and you will preserve your VC's (and save some money).

Hope that answers your question. If not let us know. Most of these peeps on this board are considerably more knowledgeable then I. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

aite, dat sounds good then. at least i wont' spend $$ for a new amp. would it be fine just to run one 10'' L5 with my audiobahn amp? i might try 1 first, n then put 2. the L5s says that it's 225watts per coil, so if i bridge the amp n put the the VC in parallel, the power should be fine? too much power would blow the sub, or is it bout setting the gain properly?

aite, dat sounds good then. at least i wont' spend $$ for a new amp. would it be fine just to run one 10'' L5 with my audiobahn amp? i might try 1 first, n then put 2. the L5s says that it's 225watts per coil, so if i bridge the amp n put the the VC in parallel, the power should be fine? too much power would blow the sub, or is it bout setting the gain properly?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.