Sub advice needed for SQL install

platty13

I am in the process of upgrading my system in a Chevy Tahoe to an SQ/SQL system and I need some sub advice. I have already purchased my frontend equipment and I will driving Morel components (tweeters, 4" mid's & 9" midbass) with a TRU Technology 4.100 and a TRU 2.200, with a Fosgate/Denon HU. I have also purchased a TRU Tech M-1 Hammer (4 Ohm: 600W x 1;2 Ohm: 1000W x 1; and 1 Ohm: 1500W x 1) to power my sub(s). I currently have 2x 12" Alumapro Alchemy's in a sealed custom box, and I love the SQ of them but I sometimes wish they went much deeper and louder. Therefore, I was thinking of upgrading to either 2x 12" Re HC's or 1x15" XXX. I was actually thinking of going 2x12" XXX, but I don't think 1 Hammer would be enough power to drive them sufficiently. Therefore, could someone please give me some advice on the following:

--Has anyone used a 15" sub in a SQ/SQL install? How did it perform? Do you think a 15" XXX would blend well with my frontend components, or do you think it wouldn't be tight enough or fast enough? Will 1x15" XXX hit hard enough in a large vehicle like my Tahoe?

--Do you think I would be better off using 2x12" HC's instead? How about 2 XXX's, do I have enough power?

--I would like to do a sealed enclosure, is this advisable for this setup? Will a ported box tuned low sound musical enough?

Sorry about all the questions, I am fairly new to car audio. Also, I have already invested quite a bit already and I would like to do it right. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oh really, the SAME thing for the "ten thousandth time"?! I didn't know there were 10,000 others with the same equipment looking to do the same type of install in the same type of vehicle with the same questions. I guess I was wrong. Maybe you could point me to the thread where the other 10,000 have previously replied? Thanks for the reply wise a**. If you dont' want to help a guy out, why reply at all?!

that's a **** load of money in ur car. u better have a nice alarm, esp in vegas.

anyways, take a look at RE's XXX, or Image dynamics IDQ or IDQ max, forgot what their top of the line is called. but good ****, $$ but u can prob afford it.

I noticed you have alot of high end equip. I wouldn't ruin your sound quality with a 15" woofer. Nothing against RE XXXs. But I would go for 12s or even 10s for the best sound. If you want louder then go with more woofers, not bigger woofers. 4 12's would be alot louder than 2 12's. And 12's recoil much faster than 15's. Your sound would stay tight and hit much harder than it did before.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what is a Fosgate/Denon head unit? Never heard of that before.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rotflol.gif.b453361716769b8110ddefc85ff03cd2.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smokin.gif.f1dc8d2acb1809e863ebd6a47eaa0d45.gif

how does it compare to the eclipse 8-series decks? i thought i was set in stone that eclipse couldn't be surpassed in sq but maybe this one does? who knows. subjective topic

With the 1500 watt amp you have I would suggest you look into Image Dynamics IDMAX 12, hands down a phenomenal sounding woofer...but then again its only as good as the box its put in.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif Ok, I see where it is a Rockford deck but how is it affiliated with Denon? I saw nothing in its description that suggests its also made by Denon. Or is there something you guys know thats not on that website.?
Adam
I found out about it in a thread on another forum and became very intrigued, so I called Rockford Fosgate and they confirmed that the HU was in fact made by Denon for them, but with their label on it. I think it may have originally been for export. However, I guess not a lot of RF buyers wanted to shell out big money (I think original retail was around $1750) for an audiophile unit without the usual soundfields, eq's, XM radio..... or dolphins. Because of this, I guess they didn't sell many of them. So, Sounddomain.com bought the lot of them cheap are are unloading them. You might want to check into one. I haven't heard mine yet, but from what I 've read and heard elswhere they really are a straightforward, no frills, audiophile deck.

I have a RE XXX 12 with a Hifonics BX1500 on it and it is in .96ft^3 sealed enclosure. The SQ is phenominal and the SPL Is awesome for a sealed sub....I had it in 2.7ft^3 ported tuned to 28HZ and the SQ was still good and the SPL was rediculous. I like it better sealed but that is me! If you want SQL with spl emphasis go ported if you want SQL with SQ emphasis go sealed......The XXX is a great sub best i have owned and best i have heard......The SQ sealed is top notch and competes with any other sub out there! And ported the SPL is also top notch adn the SQ is awesome as well just not my thing! It is a phenominal driver.....

-Ian

I have a RE XXX 12 with a Hifonics BX1500 on it and it is in .96ft^3 sealed enclosure. The SQ is phenominal and the SPL Is awesome for a sealed sub....I had it in 2.7ft^3 ported tuned to 28HZ and the SQ was still good and the SPL was rediculous. I like it better sealed but that is me! If you want SQL with spl emphasis go ported if you want SQL with SQ emphasis go sealed......The XXX is a great sub best i have owned and best i have heard......The SQ sealed is top notch and competes with any other sub out there! And ported the SPL is also top notch adn the SQ is awesome as well just not my thing! It is a phenominal driver.....-Ian
Thanks for the info. I was actually wrestling with the sealed v. ported decision. To be honest, I haven't decided as of yet. My initial thoughts were to have a sealed enclosure built because that's all that I have known. In addition, I was always forced to believe that a ported enclosure was only for SPL, not good SQ. However, I am learning otherwise the more that I read. Although I still haven't decided, your reply was just what I needed to help make an informed decision. Thanks again.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.