Strangest thing I've ever heard.... (Wiring Problem)

Participant count
  • Participant list
OK - I've been troubleshooting this for a while, and I am in now way a car audio expert.

I drive a '04 Ford Ranger with all stock audio (Pioneer 6 disc deck and front/rear speakers). I had done nothing to mess with the stereo system. A few months ago, I was listening to a CD and all the audio just cut out. The deck showed that the disc was playing, but there was no sound! I turned the deck off, and then there was all this static and clicking sound coming out from all four speakers. It was an irregular sound (did not change due to acceleration, braking, etc.) but would hit more pronounced whenever I hit a bump in the road. Also, if I bang anywhere on my truck I can duplicate the static/clicking sound.

Here's the weird part:

It doesn't happen all the time. There are times when I can be driving, with my deck on, and band and pound and hit all the bumps I see, and the stereo will go strong, as if nothing were wrong.

At first, I had thought it was related to the temperature (it started about the same time things got real hot and humid), so I removed the deck to investigate ( I do work on electrical equipment, I'm just not car-stereo-savvy). I found that the previous owner had had an amp at one time, because there were some RCAs n' stuff hooked up to certain wires out of my harness. Attributing it to this, I removed all the extra hardware, and repaired all the wires that were cut into ( no problem there - everything Ohm's out good). After this action, the truck drove for almost one week with no issues whatsoever.

Then it came back, and nothing I had removed had solved the problem.

I then removed the deck, disassembled it, and checked all the components with a meter. Didn't find anything, so I buttoned her up again. Still had this static/clicking sound, regardless if the deck was on or off, or whether I was listening to radio or a cd. Also, I'm not sure if there's a ground somewhere, because I receive no kind of shock whatsoever from my truck when I get out of it.

I even swapped decks with someone who also drives a Ranger, and he didn't have any issues with my deck. I, however, encountered the same problem (with a stock AM/FM deck). I know this means it isn't the deck, and I think it is power/wiring related. I just wanted to know if anyone could point me down the right road before I waste time looking at the wrong thing. It's already been four months, I can't take it anymore!

Thanks to anyone who can help.

ooooo I know the problem. your truck just hates you so much it likes to piss you off. give it more gas and replace all the fluids, It might like you alot better after that.

He got all factory ****. that cant be it. Like I got engine whine all da sudden, I unhook my amp and HU and anything I added that needs ground. still engine whine.

Does your Ranger have the premium sound system? You might have a loose connection/ground/something related to the factory amp.

Search up Ranger/Explorer forums for location of the factory amp. I think it's behind a panel on the passenger side somewhere. Factory deck wiring should lead you there. If the previous owner had an amp hooked up, I wonder if he tried to bypass the factory amp...

It isn't the premium sounds system (I don't think anyway). My deck is plain black, with no fancy displays or anything, and I think that the premium system comes witha silver deck that produces graphics. I will start the chore of following the wires though. Good times.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.