Strange Sound from Sub

smms25
10+ year member

Need some help figuring out my problem. First, thanks to anyone who gives me some advice.

I installed Alpine MRD-300 ( http://cartoys.com/cartoy/pdfs/mrdm300_manual.pdf )

w/ 8 gauge kit as recommended into my 08 Mazda 3 with stock headunit. I used a David Navone Engineering LOC... the sub is a MTX Thunder 12" 4500 SVC ,TA4125 (model number)... in a sealed eclosure(1.25 cubic feet)

the amp powers up fine with no code whatsoever. With key on, engine off... 11.8-12.0 volts.... with engine on 13.7-13.9 volts. So good power.

I redid some connections I thought were bad, and Im going to get banana plugs for my speaker terminals instead of using bare wire.

The Issue: the sub does respond to bass, it has output though not very much, but it sounds muffled or blatty. Hard to explain the noise, but something is wrong, so thats my best description. Any help greatly appreciated

I didnt connect the head unit to the amp... I use a LOC , which I tapped in from the rear passenger side speakers.

If the RCA's arent bad, what amp settings should I check and change

could be the LOC, did you solder all your connections? they're not great in the first place, but if you don't have good connections, you can ufk it up in a big way

Make sure if you hooked up L & R for the LOC that you wired them the same. If you have the inputs in your LOC different it would put your amp out of phase. If you don't know how to check just take one side of the LOC and wire it just the opposite of the way it is.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.