Stock radio and where to get 12 supply to amp

threeputt

south
I have a 2011 Sonata that I am installing a Power Acoustik Reaper REP2-450 Car Amplifier - 450 W PMPO - 2 Channel Amp that I removed from my wrecked Tahoe. I bought a line output converter model SNI-35 from Radio shack and have it wired to stock head unit correct I think so I can use my RCA wires to connect to sub-woofer.

I have the main batter wire run under carpet to Amp but I don't know where to find a hot wire to connect it to my remote connection on the Amp. I know it has to have 12 volts for it to power on and from what I read it should be a hot wire that is hot only when switch is on.

The Sonata has the push button key less start so where would be a good place to find a 12 volt supply only when car is in the run position. Maybe to the fuse panel somewhere? I am new to this newer type radios but can do most this type work myself as I did do mechanic work for many years. I am just new to cars with push start so I don't know where is a good place to find 12 volts to run to this remote terminal on Amp. Any suggestions on where a good 12 volt supply without removing the head again. Need it to be only when car is on and not off so no drain on batter. Thanks. Tom

It's not all that easy, your much better off with a better head unit. But you didn't ask that so I'll tell you what I know. You will need Line Output Converter. Some have a built-in remote wire hookup. They also have the preamp output hookups that your stock radio probably doesn't have. Where your RCAs are hooked up for your sound. This is where it gets difficult. The converter will hook up to your rear speakers. But it's important to hook it up right. I'll post a link to help you out.

How to hook up an amp and sub to a stock stereo. - Car Stereo Reviews & News + Tuning, Wiring, How to Guide's

I agree with you on replacing the stock radio but it has the The factory-installed navigation system and they want to keep that, well his mom does as this was her car. The car was top dollar when bought in 2011. I think the price was like $32,000 and it has been a great car with good sound system ( Infinity ) . Just hate to waste all the money they spent on the Tahoe system since it was wrecked and now he go this car. This car may already have a system better than the Amp and Sub-woofer I want to install. I am leaving the stock speakers in as they sound great. This car actually belongs to my grandson. . Just wanting to help him out. My grandson tells me he like the current system but it just does not have enough base and that is why he wanted to install the better sub-woofer and Amp. I know the Amp is not going to power on without the remote wire connected and I need the best source of 12 volts. I bought the Line Output Converter today at Radio Shack but no way to connect 12 volts on the one they sold me, just the RCA jacks and I just hope I have them connected to the right color wires. I did the best I could getting the info on the color wires for the factory head to splice in to the speakers. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
So would be any better installing this amp and sub-woofer when this care came with the premium Infinity system that already has an Amp installed somewhere in the car? After I found we could not get a wire yesterday to power the Amp, at least we didn't figure where to get the 12 volt supply line because it was getting dark and I was outside. I told him to start it up and let me listen to the system. It sounded great without any of these aftermarket things . I think I will just tell him to bring me the car and I will remove everything we installed yesterday including the Line Output Converter. I also will remove the long red 12 volt supply line to aftermarket amp. He can just drive it like it came from the factory. Don't think he would see much improvement by doing what we were planning on doing anway. Tom

I removed the factory head today and took off everything I installed yesterday. We are leaving it stock as it sounds good enough. He was lucky to even get this car after wrecking his Tahoe hitting a tree and I told them to leave it as is. Thanks for the help. Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the great info here. I think for now we will just leave things as they are. This system sounds great and being he just wrecked the Tahoe he can just drive this car the way it is. I might try and sell the sound system he just had installed in the Tahoe to someone. I could always use it myself in my new 2016 Toyota Tacoma and will post in the right topic on recommendations on what I need. THANKS. Tom

Definitely Infinity is one of the best and most reliable brand for the audio issue . I have INFINITY REFERENCE 1262W . It is a single subwoofer with 1200 watts of peak power and 600 watts RMS. It features all Infinity’s signature patents, components, and materials such are high-efficiency polypropylene woofer cone with large-roll rubber surrounds ensure efficiently, clean bass and vented pole pieces provides additional cooling to increase power handling. But the main thing about this sub is its sub 100$ price tag which makes it super affordable and a true barging compared to other prices on the market. That is why you shouldn’t miss this Infinity since it is brand name product at the very low price.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.