Stock Head Powerful Enough for Aftermarket 6x9s? Wiring Compatible?

zwasserman

Hey all,

First post here, I've been doing a little research the last couple days trying to figure out how to replace some blown stock 6x9s in my '02 Honda Accord and found you guys. Looks like a pretty nice site. Previous to what I've researched the last couple days I knew absolutely nothing about car audio, but I have a technical background and have built some PCs and stuff so I'm pretty good at DIY projects.

Currently, I have stock everything in the Accord. My question is, would the stock stereo be powerful enough for some average aftermarket 6x9s? Should I consider a new head unit or an amp?What should I know about the wiring and the installation?

I was considering Polk DB 691s (won't let me post link), but really, I just want the best pair for $50-100 and am open to suggestions. I listen to mostly electronic music, but I still have a lot of acoustic and classical stuff, so a nice well balanced speaker would be best.

Thanks!

Congratulations on catching the audio bug! As far as powering aftermarket speakers it really depends on the speaker some speakers can take 100w plus and other take only 50w, you're going to better off choosing one with less RMS watts because you'll get more sound of it. If you have the money even spending the $100 for a head unit is so worth it, more like 22watts per channel instead of whatever the stock units output. Also cleaner sound. If you're going to replace the rears don't expect a dramatic sound improvement because the bad sound of the fronts are going to take over but at least they won't be blown.

I personally found that the 3 way Alpine Type R 6x9's sounded great IMO. I do have 75 watts running to them so it might be different off of HU power but none the less they have potential. I am not sure of the price though.

Another think to check would be the classified on here, great source of variety and sweet prices on killer equipment.

I have installed a few full setups in Accords specifically the 99 which I believe is the same setup. Super easy and I'd be glad to help you with the install process. You shouldn't have a problem.

Replace the rears with oem or cheap coaxial speakers, if you must keep the rears. Put your money into the front speakers. Anything is better than stock up front. Get a decent amp that matches up well with the power requirements of the front speakers you choose(pay attention to the rms @ 4 ohm specs, that's what matters for this application), and run your rear speakers off of the headunit, which, getting back to your original question, you'll want to replace.

Congratulations on catching the audio bug! As far as powering aftermarket speakers it really depends on the speaker some speakers can take 100w plus and other take only 50w, you're going to better off choosing one with less RMS watts because you'll get more sound of it. If you have the money even spending the $100 for a head unit is so worth it, more like 22watts per channel instead of whatever the stock units output. Also cleaner sound. If you're going to replace the rears don't expect a dramatic sound improvement because the bad sound of the fronts are going to take over but at least they won't be blown.
I personally found that the 3 way Alpine Type R 6x9's sounded great IMO. I do have 75 watts running to them so it might be different off of HU power but none the less they have potential. I am not sure of the price though.

Another think to check would be the classified on here, great source of variety and sweet prices on killer equipment.

I have installed a few full setups in Accords specifically the 99 which I believe is the same setup. Super easy and I'd be glad to help you with the install process. You shouldn't have a problem.
He isnt going to notice a couple watts from an aftermarket deck so unless he is going to build further a stock deck will be fine... OP whats your budget and ultimate goal?

Stock systems can easily handle aftermarket speakers. There's a ton of 6x9's out there for $100 a pair. Pick a brand name and go for it.

The stock head unit is fine for the DB series 6x9's I just did a friends accaord and acura cl (fancy Accord) using the EX series which im not sure is still available and and older MM set they sounded better than stock, but we are doing an amp this week on the MM's they need it. If your connectors are like the Acura you can pull the factory terminals out of the platic clip and test polarity then just slide on or use the adapters available from vendors.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Really my goal is to get the best sound for the cheapest price, and my immediate budget is about $300, although I will be able to spend more later.

Looks like there's a bit of debate whether or not to get a new head unit. From what I can gather you guys are saying I can power the DBs off of the stock stereo but I would get better sound from a new head unit/amp?

Let's say I got an amp, a new head unit, and new 6x9's. Could I do all of that for less than $300? Should I skip the new head unit and go for new mids instead, and power the rears with the stock head unit and the mids with the amp? Would all four be possible? Should I consider a sub?

Thanks again for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

If you're planning on ever going to a fully amped, fully aftermarket system, the best thing to do is start out by getting a good aftermarket headunit, spending somewhere around 100-150 will get you a solid head-unit, buying used will get you closer to the low end of the spectrum. Installing a higher end deck in most cars will usually make the overall sound better, even on stock speakers. Then, I'd recommend adding a sub, it will fill the gap that most stock systems have from ~25-80Hz and really make a bigger difference in the sound than swapping speakers.

You could put a decent sub in for 150-200 maybe a tiny bit more depending on how far you want to go. I've done very loud sub installs for under 250$ but you'll have to learn what to look for and buy used equipment.

If you're planning on ever going to a fully amped, fully aftermarket system, the best thing to do is start out by getting a good aftermarket headunit, spending somewhere around 100-150 will get you a solid head-unit, buying used will get you closer to the low end of the spectrum. Installing a higher end deck in most cars will usually make the overall sound better, even on stock speakers. Then, I'd recommend adding a sub, it will fill the gap that most stock systems have from ~25-80Hz and really make a bigger difference in the sound than swapping speakers.
You could put a decent sub in for 150-200 maybe a tiny bit more depending on how far you want to go. I've done very loud sub installs for under 250$ but you'll have to learn what to look for and buy used equipment.
I'm thinking I might do this because I can always just upgrade the stock mids and tweeters later. I take it most people don't bother with the rears once they install a sub?

When you say I could put in a decent sub for 150-200 do you mean sub + amp or just the sub? I don't really care about making it loud. I care about sound quality more than anything.

What kinds of things should I look for in a new HU/amp/sub besides good reviews?

You always need an amp to go with a sub. It sounds like you don't need much more than 300 watts for a substage. Might I reccomend the ssa dcon? They are a sound quality driver.
Looks like a pretty nice one, can't seem to find any bad reviews. Which would you recommend, the 10" or the 12"?

Anyone else have any other suggestions, perhaps on a decent amp or HU?

Don't buy cheap 6x9's some can't reproduce bass.
They arent suppose to //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

Looks like a pretty nice one, can't seem to find any bad reviews. Which would you recommend, the 10" or the 12"?
Anyone else have any other suggestions, perhaps on a decent amp or HU?
Budget and space?

They arent suppose to //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif 

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

Budget and space?
I'd peg my current budget at $300, but I'll be able to do more once summer comes.

Space wise...I'm not really sure where the best place to put the sub is. There doesn't seem to be much space behind the backseat. Do people put subs in the trunk sometimes?

I'd peg my current budget at $300, but I'll be able to do more once summer comes.
Space wise...I'm not really sure where the best place to put the sub is. There doesn't seem to be much space behind the backseat. Do people put subs in the trunk sometimes?
All the time... Is that 300 for everything?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.