Stick with SA-15 or upgrade?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I recently bought a new amp, the CAB-1600.1, and with it doing so well I am wondering if I should upgrade my sub as well. I currently have an SA-15 D2 in a roughly 4 cube box. I know the SA will handle atleast 1200 of clean power, but as this amp makes 1600+ easily I am wondering if I should upgrade to say a X-15? What are yalls thoughts? Stick with the SA-15? Or upgrade? If you say stick with the SA then how much clean power can I safely give it?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sundown X series is priced too high in my opinion (The SSA Icon which uses USA voice coil/motor is made in house is 150 dollars cheaper than the X series which is an all China sub). Even the SSA Xcon is 100 bucks cheaper and its a nasty sub.

Lots of good options out there for under 400 (SSA Icon/Xcon, Fi BL, Ampere AA-3.0, Incriminator Death row, SounDrive SDA3).

What electrical upgrades have you made ? (your getting to the aftermarket alternator territory with your current amplifier)

Sundown X series is priced too high in my opinion (The SSA Icon which uses USA voice coil/motor is made in house is 150 dollars cheaper than the X series which is an all China sub). Even the SSA Xcon is 100 bucks cheaper and its a nasty sub.
Lots of good options out there for under 400 (SSA Icon/Xcon, Fi BL, Ampere AA-3.0, Incriminator Death row, SounDrive SDA3).

What electrical upgrades have you made ? (your getting to the aftermarket alternator territory with your current amplifier)
* B-Stock* Sundown Audio X-15 Rev.2 1500W X Series - Car Audio Bargain

X v2 15 for under $400... Beast of a woofer

I started thinking about that after I posted this. Kinda realized before I try to get more power I either need a bigger batt or bigger alternator. Which should I replace first? Only alternator I can find for my car is a 180 amp.

I started thinking about that after I posted this. Kinda realized before I try to get more power I either need a bigger batt or bigger alternator. Which should I replace first? Only alternator I can find for my car is a 180 amp.
Stock alt and a nice agm batt should support that amp.

Usually battery comes first. Problem with stock alternator is the efficiency is pretty mediocre (some barely charge at idle) and it takes a fraction of the amperage to run the car/front speakers (if you have a 100A alternator then you have maybe 700 watts available for the subs assuming the amp is efficient).
I tried running 1700 watts (VFL 150.1 at 2ohms) on a XS battery battery, big 3, and stock alternator. It got loud but the moment I threw my Singer alternator in there the output increase by over 2x

Usually battery comes first. Problem with stock alternator is the efficiency is pretty mediocre (some barely charge at idle) and it takes a fraction of the amperage to run the car/front speakers (if you have a 100A alternator then you have maybe 700 watts available for the subs assuming the amp is efficient).
I tried running 1700 watts (VFL 150.1 at 2ohms) on a XS battery battery, big 3, and stock alternator. It got loud but the moment I threw my Singer alternator in there the output increase by over 2x
Right now I have a stockish battery with something like 450cca and a stock 110 amp alternator. The car is a 2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback. Now, I have a red top optima in my other car, which doesnt run, with 800cca. I am pretty sure the battery will fit, atleast long enough to get one that does fit properly. Now, I have only found 1 high output alternator for the Versa. It is a 180 amp for $400. Any suggestions?

There are a few select cars that do not support more than a 180 amp alt bc of it's internal chip. I would ask Michael Singer directly to find out if your Nissan Versa can support a bigger alt or not. Either way, he can hook you up with a quality made alt made by Singer himself.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.