Stereo Install Help---Trim Piece Won't Fit..Pics Included

globe9

Hi.

Bought a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 for my 2010 Nissan Rogue S 360 and had a friend install it for me. I used a Scosche dash kit based on reviews and recommendations on many forums. Most said the Scosche looked bettter and was made better than the Metra.

The friend did a good job on install, at least to me. He ran usb and aux input wires to glovebox, ran bluetooth mic up drivers side pillar, etc.

I am concerned and have a question about 1 thing however. The receiver came with a trim piece from Kenwood. The friend did not install this piece on the receiver. I was not there when he installed otherwise I would have questioned him on it.

When I got home, I tried to put the trim piece on myself. Usually they just snap on right? Well, the trim piece is too big and won't snap on. I first assumed that maybe Kenwood packaged the wrong trim piece in with the receiver. I called my friend and asked him about this. He said that when using a dash kit, such as the Scosche, the trim piece is not used. Is this true?

I have pics of stereo without trim piece and pic of stereo with trim piece just resting on it and the stereo looks cleaner/finished with the trim piece. Has anyone run into this problem/issue? What can/should I do?

Thanks so much!!!!!

P1030213.jpg

Pic without trim piece

P1030217.jpg

Pic with trim piece just resting on top of stereo

Some dash kits have the radio iso mounted while others use the included cage. Yours uses ISO mounting, which is the deck is mounted and slid in through the back of the kit and bolted to it. Generally this leaves a cleaner look in the car. Due to each manufacturer having different shape and depths of the faceplate sometimes it looks good and some times it doesn't.

Yours doesn't look bad imo. I would maybe slide it back another 1/4" or so, so it sits flush with the dash. This would depend if the face will still open or detach that way.

Hope that helped.

True story..... most trim rings do NOT fit if you iso-mount. Like the other guy said, you might be able to tweak it 1/8" in to flush it a little better, but probably not.

Thanks for the quick reply Mike. That does help //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Is sliding it back another 1/4" something I can do myself? I'm a girl and not too good with the electronic stuff LOL, but I don't want my friend who installed this to think I think he did a bad job. He did this for free on his day off, and I really appreciate his help, but I am a perfectionist LOL

What does sliding it back involve? Wouldn't have to unclip wires or anything right?

Thanks again!

The aftermarket (scosche) dask kit should just pop off (ask your friend to be sure) be careful not to pry too hard as you'll dent or mare the vinyl around it. There should be 2 silver screws on each side, you'll see them when the kit comes out. May only be one screw depending on how much attention to detail your friend pays. Either way these screws may be in holes in the aftermarket dash kit, or grooves. Loosen or remove the screws from both sides and either find another hole a little bit back or just loosen the screws if there are grooves and then slide the radio back until it sits flush with the dash kit. Check operation of face to make sure it will clear in this posistion. Push the whole thing back into the dash.

Pretty certain that kit is held inn by screws. The ac controls and air vents pop off to reveal them. However, I wouldn't bother. That's most likely just how the screws line up.

Pretty certain that kit is held inn by screws. The ac controls and air vents pop off to reveal them. However, I wouldn't bother. That's most likely just how the screws line up.
X2 If you're not comfortable taking the panel off from around where the unit mounts definitely not worth it. Sometimes there's multiple options where the unit screws into the brackets (doing it is simple, but getting it out will be the issue).

Looks pretty consistant with how I've seen that style head unit mount in iso though.... If you like the way the trim ring looks on there and it doesn't interfere with the motorized front, just tack it in place with a couple little dabs of hot melt glue or silicone caulking. That way you can easily pry it off if you ever need to but it should hold it mostly in place if that's the look you like.

Trim ring is not designed to go on in that style mounting though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.