Static in speakers and tweeters only when both amps running

kirsty

So I installed a little pioneer 4 channel amp to power my kicker components, all worked perfectly. I then installed a pioneer sub and boss audio amp, using a separate power cable and ground cable, again worked perfectly fine. I split the remote turn on wire to each amp, with a 1 way diode thing (only lets the current flow 1 way) between each amp and the "splitting point" of the remote wire, and then suddenly getting quite loud static from the tweeters and woofers. If I simply remove the REM input at the amp end on the sub amp, the static stops. It is only when both amps are actually running that the static is there.

What are the common causes of static possible in a situation like this?

Here is a quick paint diagram (link won't allow)

i[dot]imgur[dot]com/bzbsF4f[dot]png

So I installed a little pioneer 4 channel amp to power my kicker components, all worked perfectly. I then installed a pioneer sub and boss audio amp, using a separate power cable and ground cable, again worked perfectly fine. I split the remote turn on wire to each amp, with a 1 way diode thing (only lets the current flow 1 way) between each amp and the "splitting point" of the remote wire, and then suddenly getting quite loud static from the tweeters and woofers. If I simply remove the REM input at the amp end on the sub amp, the static stops. It is only when both amps are actually running that the static is there.
What are the common causes of static possible in a situation like this?

Here is a quick paint diagram (link won't allow)

i[dot]imgur[dot]com/bzbsF4f[dot]png
Well I wasn't able to load the image.

I have heard of this problem before, not my own car but a friends.

He said the static noise was fixed by moving the remote wire away from the power wire. So if I were you, I would actually run the second remote wire on the other side of the car. Not 100% sure this will fix it but why not try!

I gave it a try, no avail. I also just removed the power cable going into amp 2, and just had the remote wire coming into it (and amp 1). The buzzing still occurred, so I can safely assume it isn't picking up static from either power cord.

I want to test a completely external source of REM before I set up a relay, but I am worried I could damage my amp.

If I tie a bit of small gauge speaker wire to the amp end of my 4 gauge power cord (that goes to the sub amp) and use that as a remote turn on, it isn't going to push too much voltage through the amp turn on point and screw it is it? If it would, would connecting speaker wire from the battery straight to the amp blow it as well? If I can test that and it works, then I relay should work

The remote wire is just a 12V line from the HU. Exactly the same as putting a jumper from your power wire to the rem terminal. You can't damage an amp by connecting the remote input to 12V.

But the remote just turns the amp's power supply on or off - it can't cause static. Something else is going on. I'd like to see your wiring diagram, 'cuz I'm not clear what you used diodes for - you don't have to isolate remotes from each other.

Well I wasn't able to load the image. I have heard of this problem before, not my own car but a friends.

He said the static noise was fixed by moving the remote wire away from the power wire. So if I were you, I would actually run the second remote wire on the other side of the car. Not 100% sure this will fix it but why not try!

lmfao fail

The remote wire is just a 12V line from the HU. Exactly the same as putting a jumper from your power wire to the rem terminal. You can't damage an amp by connecting the remote input to 12V.
But the remote just turns the amp's power supply on or off - it can't cause static. Something else is going on. I'd like to see your wiring diagram, 'cuz I'm not clear what you used diodes for - you don't have to isolate remotes from each other.
I've got a "link" at the end of my topic post, I had to post it with [dot]'s because the forum wouldn't allow links, a general picture of what's goin on is in there

Thanks for info btw guys //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

are they grounded at the same spot, i would try moving the grounds, and make sure there in the same spot. or it could be feedback through the rcas, maybe separate them running through the car.

are they grounded at the same spot, i would try moving the grounds, and make sure there in the same spot. or it could be feedback through the rcas, maybe separate them running through the car.
I made a point of grounding them on a different spot thinking that was the right thing to do, I'm curious as to why it should be grounded on the same spot? Not saying you're wrong, I know nothing lol I'm just curious.

And the buzzing occurs whether rca's are in or not, and at 0 volume, so pretty confident it's not those

Okay, i'll ground them onto the same bolt, thanks for the tip.

Bought a relay today, if nothing works I'll install that and let post how it all goes

try removing the diode. take the wire that did go into the diode from the hu straight to the first amp's turn on and then take another wire from that turn on to the 2nd amps turn on , ie. daisy chain the 2 turn ons.

I've got a "link" at the end of my topic post, I had to post it with [dot]'s because the forum wouldn't allow links, a general picture of what's goin on is in there
Thanks for info btw guys //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
I'll post it for you:

bzbsF4f.png

The diode thingie's (lol) aren't needed. They don't hurt, but they reduce the remote voltage by 3/4 volt or so. Still, if you get static even with the RCA's disconnected I would suspect the amp.

The interesting thing though about it possibly being a bad amp is he mentioned "It is only when both amps are actually running that the static is there", so I'm not thinking it's his amp.

So I ended up testing a wire directly from the battery, and they both ran simultaneously without static. I have no idea why but I'm glad! I'll just put a switch in somewhere at the dash that turns on my sub amp, and be thankful the bastard works!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.