Static from head unit

Participant count
  • Participant list

Dlaube

CarAudio.com Newbie
Since I replaced my reciever with a JVC KD-560BT I hear low static from all four speakers. It's not very loud but really irritating. Its independent from the volume and continues even when its muted or theres not audio source.

I do have a kicker key 180 installed with high level inputs to run the door speakers, which I had to rewire to the new receivers harness, but I never moved the power or ground.

The only thing I can think of is that either the factory ground that runs through the wiring harness isn't sufficient, or I have a bad unit.

I'm not really sure where to start with this one and was hoping to get some input before I start tearing everything apart.

Since I replaced my reciever with a JVC KD-560BT I hear low static from all four speakers. It's not very loud but really irritating. Its independent from the volume and continues even when its muted or theres not audio source.

I do have a kicker key 180 installed with high level inputs to run the door speakers, which I had to rewire to the new receivers harness, but I never moved the power or ground.

The only thing I can think of is that either the factory ground that runs through the wiring harness isn't sufficient, or I have a bad unit.

I'm not really sure where to start with this one and was hoping to get some input before I start tearing everything apart.

A lot of aftermarket units have a separate ground anyways, so there's nothing wrong with splicing and using a terminal to ground it against the frame too. It's at least something to try. Usually noise like that is either a ground or signal issue. I'm curious if the sound goes away or gets less severe when the car is off? Usually that means it's a power interference issue to low signal inputs (which you don't have if you're using high output direct to the amp) so make sure the amplifier isn't very close to a coiled power cable. An alternative thing is active ANC unit running to the speakers getting amplified.

An important diagnostic step would be to get a 3.5mm to RCA adapter and see if your amplifier makes the hum without your car's head unit included in the mix. It won't address all internal amp issues because it's not high level input, but it will at least verify that the amplifier is capable of running without the hum or if there's a strong EMF near the amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.