Started building the Tritrix...

Spud2388
10+ year member

"The Spud-n-ator"
Well, i got started on building the Tritrix towers seen on parts express. These are going to be solely for music and will be hooked up to my computer. The ones built on partsexpress were only 36" tall, but with the seating position i will be in, i extended them to 49" tall (width of a sheet of MDF). I was hoping to not use any type of weight on the bottom to give it stability, which is why I built the "feet" on the sides. It made the bottom 3" wider, which helped tremendously. I plan on covering it with rubberized undercoating because its going with me to college and the more rugged the better.

the crossover components and speakers are supposed to be here tomorrow, so hopefully ill have them together tomorrow night and have pictures up.

yea i like them so far. I just got back from walmart and picked up some rubberized undercoating and did a test patch on one of them. I was unpleasantly surprised. The color is not black as i expected, but rather a dark brown, almost a poop color. lol. Does anybody know if you can paint over this with some regular spray paint?

Well, i've been a little busy last night and this afternoon. I wired up the crossovers (forgot to take pictures), mounted them to the slant piece on the inside, and attached the last sides and installed the speakers.

I've been listening to them for the past 30 minutes of so, and i am really happy with how they turned out and sound. The bass these speakers and play is pretty impressive for their size and the tweeters are very detailed. I'm sure they will change once they break in, but i give this design an A+.

All thats left is to take the speakers out, sand it down to get out the few imperfections, and start applying the coats of rubberized undercoating.

Looks sweet man! BTW whatever happened to the half changs? Or was that someone else?
no, that was me. The reason i went with the tritrix over the half changes is because of where i will be sitting mostly compared to the speakers themselves. I will be sitting rather close to the speakers, about 4 ft away because these are solely for my computer. I had many people advise me not to go with an 8" speaker and stick with smaller speakers because of this. Whether it was a good move or not, I will know when i hear some half changes. But right now, I couldn't be happier.

no, that was me. The reason i went with the tritrix over the half changes is because of where i will be sitting mostly compared to the speakers themselves. I will be sitting rather close to the speakers, about 4 ft away because these are solely for my computer. I had many people advise me not to go with an 8" speaker and stick with smaller speakers because of this. Whether it was a good move or not, I will know when i hear some half changes. But right now, I couldn't be happier.
Oh yes I remember now...yes you definitely made the right choice...although 6.5 inch drivers are still going to beam, not as severely as an 8 inch driver will...

Oh yes I remember now...yes you definitely made the right choice...although 6.5 inch drivers are still going to beam, not as severely as an 8 inch driver will...
Well, they're only 5.25, which is even better from what i hear. Whats a good way to break in these drivers without damaging them? low frequencies at mid level or what?

I've built the these before and you won't be disappointed at all. Especially for the price. I like the modifications, the original speaker is fairly small and with these will definitely play best when placed at ear level. Beaming shouldn't be a huge problem since these are crossed over fairly low, which is perfect for an MTM.

well, i put a few coats of the rubberized undercoating on them, and it was not worth it at all. so i sanded most of it off and am going to wrap them in black vinyl. I did make some grill guards out of 1/4" round aluminum, but just have to wait until tomorrow to get the vinyl and padding. I';; get some pics up of the grill guards in a few.

img0195kf8.jpg

img0196cj4.jpg

img0197pk6.jpg

Right now, they are only in the holes about 1/8". After I get the cabinets covered, they will be pushed in 1/2" and only be sticking up 3/4". I still need to sand them down to remove all the crud the stickers left on them and to make them uniform in color. Hopefully with a little bit of liquid nails and the vinyl that will be pushed in the hole, they will stay.

img0195kf8.jpg
img0196cj4.jpg

img0197pk6.jpg

Right now, they are only in the holes about 1/8". After I get the cabinets covered, they will be pushed in 1/2" and only be sticking up 3/4". I still need to sand them down to remove all the crud the stickers left on them and to make them uniform in color. Hopefully with a little bit of liquid nails and the vinyl that will be pushed in the hole, they will stay.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/sick.gif.b1847c8dabbfeeddbcf1a78052249e10.gif They looked ****in sexified before you sprayed that **** on 'em.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/sick.gif.b1847c8dabbfeeddbcf1a78052249e10.gif They looked ****in sexified before you sprayed that **** on 'em.
ha ha ha i know thats just what penetrated the wood and wouldn't sand off. But all of that will be covered with black vinyl, so no worries. Im going to pick up the vinyl tomorrow night, so hopefully ill get one, if not both done tomorrow or tuesday night.

Jesus Christ that **** looks hideous now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.