Staining the inside of a box?

I'm planning on using plexi so the inside will be visible. A buddy gave me a 2'x4' piece of 1" acrylic so I gotta try to use it! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Was thinking about painting but figure if I could stain a decent color match to the factory woodgrain inside the car it'd be a little more unique.

thatd be real sick actually.
if it were me, i'd allow it to cure first, but i think that it would be just fine.
For sure, I'd give it some time to cure before installing. I've got a picture in my head of the inside of the box and trim pieces around the amps stained to match the factory wood that would look good. I've never had to make the inside of a box look good so I'm not 100% sure I can pull it off but I think it's worth a shot. Just wanted to make sure the vapors from the stain wouldn't degrade the soft parts of the sub before I go too far with the plan.

depends on what stain your using but i think(not sure) that it is corrosive and with the amount of displacement the xxx has i bet you end up loosing the surround

depends on what stain your using but i think(not sure) that it is corrosive and with the amount of displacement the xxx has i bet you end up loosing the surround
i would worry about that a little but if you let it cure for a day or two and let it catch some wind it would be fine. i would be worried more if he were using laquer. either way when you stain or laquer furniture it doesnt give off fumes after a couple of days. so like was said before just let it cure long enough

I'm planning on using plexi so the inside will be visible. A buddy gave me a 2'x4' piece of 1" acrylic so I gotta try to use it! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Was thinking about painting but figure if I could stain a decent color match to the factory woodgrain inside the car it'd be a little more unique.
Thats worth a few hundred $$ //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif used to sell this and store cost of a 4x8 of 1/4" was ~$165 id imagine 1" would be in the neighborhood of 1400 also it depends on what stain you get, ask for low or no VOC (volatile organic compound) stain and you will have no volatile chemicals to worry about also it might seem weird because it wont smell like anything when you apply it.

edit:

i would worry about that a little but if you let it cure for a day or two and let it catch some wind it would be fine. i would be worried more if he were using laquer. either way when you stain or laquer furniture it doesnt give off fumes after a couple of days. so like was said before just let it cure long enough
not necessarily, also stain is more volatile than laquer it just depends on the compound and chemical composition of the item in question.

Thats worth a few hundred $$ //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif also it depends on what stain you get, ask for low or no VOC (volatile organic compound) stain and you will have no volatile chemicals to worry about also it might seem weird because it wont smell like anything when you apply it
^^^ worked at a hardware for like two years, kid knows more about making bombs out of household chemicals than a terrorist

Thats worth a few hundred $$ //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif used to sell this and store cost of a 4x8 of 1/4" was ~$165 id imagine 1" would be in the neighborhood of 1400 also it depends on what stain you get, ask for low or no VOC (volatile organic compound) stain and you will have no volatile chemicals to worry about also it might seem weird because it wont smell like anything when you apply it.
edit:

not necessarily, also stain is more volatile than laquer it just depends on the compound and chemical composition of the item in question.
Right! There's no way I'd be doing the plexi if I was paying for it, it was a scrap from a construction job he had sitting in the garage so I couldn't say no. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif I'll have check into the stain a little more, someone had used a shade of Minwax polyshade with a couple coats of polyurethane and matched the wood in these cars for an interior piece, I'll have to look into how volatile that would be. I'll go to plan B if there's a chance of messing up the sub.

^^^ worked at a hardware for like two years, kid knows more about making bombs out of household chemicals than a terrorist
not to be a dick but if you have ever taken a college level micro course you can make biological weapons which are 16x more potent and i believe the cost to cover a square mile with chemical weapons was along the lines of 2k$ and to do it with bios was 1$.. just a fun fact.. not a terrorist btw... just got stuck taking ridiculous chemistry and biology classes for my major.. lol

stain the outside :

S6001571.jpg

im a painter. and id say if you want to go with the stain do these steps. stain let dry put a coat of polyuerthane let dry. sand down the another coat of poly let dry sand and then a final coat of poly. it will make it look nice.

not to be a dick but if you have ever taken a college level micro course you can make biological weapons which are 16x more potent and i believe the cost to cover a square mile with chemical weapons was along the lines of 2k$ and to do it with bios was 1$.. just a fun fact.. not a terrorist btw... just got stuck taking ridiculous chemistry and biology classes for my major.. lol
Not to be a dick but I was a chemical engineering student, I just recently switched majors to architecture, and I have indeed taken a college level micro course. Take thermonuclear physics then come back and talk to me. I still carry my nuclear physics minor //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Thats a pretty sweet box, not sure i like the stain on mdf but thats a personal opinion, I like to see wood grain. I agree with team50boom poly will make it look nicer, and im pretty sure its not volatile.

Not to be a dick but I was a chemical engineering student, I just recently switched majors to architecture, and I have indeed taken a college level micro course. Take thermonuclear physics then come back and talk to me. I still carry my nuclear physics minor //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
Thats a pretty sweet box, not sure i like the stain on mdf but thats a personal opinion, I like to see wood grain. I agree with team50boom poly will make it look nicer, and im pretty sure its not volatile.

Not mdf.... take another guess

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.