SSA F8L F-150 Build

Glad that it sounds good. The box seems a little small to me for two big 8's.
SSA recommends .55 cubes

SSA's recommendations are good when it comes to their woofers, and I've actually talked to SSA about a few of their woofers in detail, including this one. I've done several F8L boxes this year, and they're really my personal favorite 8" woofer. They aren't hard to design for, other than they use such a small box space that ports start running into subs, sometimes. It gets tight. But there's a lot of 8's over time that I've seen call for .5 cubes. Sundown used to recommend .5 to 1 cubes originally for the Sa-8, so .55 cubes is not close to overly small for an 8, relatively. Somewhere around .75 is probably average for what I see, but I've done 8's this year in .55-1 cubic foot net per sub. The F8L's have soft suspensions, but have a surprisingly high xmax while also having a 2.5" VC in that sub. That really stands out to me, as a designer, from all that I've seen. I want to do a ton of these 8's in a series 6th order bandpass, I feel like I could make them play at least down into the high 20's pretty hard.

Show me another 650w 8" sub with an Fs of 32.1 Hz and only wants a .55 cubic foot box? Those are great specs for an 8", because most people using 8's are trying to save space, and this woofer is a very, very good choice for a musically loud 8". This woofer has the best chance to play serious low bass out of many other 8's that I've seen, IMO.

You don't know anything about what was discussed, and audio is all about playing with sound and having this thing called fun.
I just need to know how many inches from the port you’re thinking of to start, and if it flares out, to how many inches, and I can build one just for the hell of it. I have plenty of scrap wood.

SSA's recommendations are good when it comes to their woofers, and I've actually talked to SSA about a few of their woofers in detail, including this one. I've done several F8L boxes this year, and they're really my personal favorite 8" woofer. They aren't hard to design for, other than they use such a small box space that ports start running into subs, sometimes. It gets tight. But there's a lot of 8's over time that I've seen call for .5 cubes. Sundown used to recommend .5 to 1 cubes originally for the Sa-8, so .55 cubes is not close to overly small for an 8, relatively. Somewhere around .75 is probably average for what I see, but I've done 8's this year in .55-1 cubic foot net per sub. The F8L's have soft suspensions, but have a surprisingly high xmax while also having a 2.5" VC in that sub. That really stands out to me, as a designer, from all that I've seen. I want to do a ton of these 8's in a series 6th order bandpass, I feel like I could make them play at least down into the high 20's pretty hard.

Show me another 650w 8" sub with an Fs of 32.1 Hz and only wants a .55 cubic foot box? Those are great specs for an 8", because most people using 8's are trying to save space, and this woofer is a very, very good choice for a musically loud 8". This woofer has the best chance to play serious low bass out of many other 8's that I've seen, IMO.

I was thinking more like .75 to .90 cubes per 8". I'm not sure what the Fs is on my VFL's but they play 28 hz. surprisingly loud. Those F8L's look nice and beefy though. I would like to see a Resilient Sounds Gold and a Rampage 8" build also.

Built and installed the “loading port.” It actually sounds really good and is a little louder now. @Buck suggested I make it 3.125” at the back and I flared it out to 4.5” at the front.

So what's it tuned to now 20hz, or as I previously stated was it not designed and built correctly the first time?

It’s called having fun, and playing with sound, and experimenting with different audio things to see what improvements can be made. Almost any system has room for improvements, and doing stuff like this on the forum helps everyone learn. All he’s doing is experimenting. If you rid yourself of some of that hate you carry, you might learn how to have fun.

Also, if knew about sound, you’d know the strange acoustical properties of pickup trucks and how sometimes the smallest things or changes in orientation can change the sound. I advised OP on the flare some, and he’s just messing around with it, and just experimenting with how he can get it to sound, seeing what it does, because it’s fun, unlike you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...