SQ on the cheap

Never understood that mentality.

"I want it to sound as good as possible"

but then...

"Well it's not a competition car or anything so the system only needs to sound 'decent', not really great or anything."

Why on earth wouldn't anybody want to get the best sound possible for whatever the money they're spending? Why spend money and work on your vehicle with the goal of 'OK but not TOO good of a sound' in mind?

Not sure what you're looking for. You came here asking if this would sound fine, people are telling you no, and you aren't acknowledging their logic. Were you hoping people would just tell you yes because you're already dead set on doing this and just wanted possitive reinforcement or were you actually looking for honest opinions?

If this is an experiment you want to try just to try that's fine but if you're looking for a good long term setup for your vehicle don't expect people to agree that picking a tweeter, a mid, and a crossover at random is the way to go.

Checked the specs...

The crossover point on the passives that come the the PRS is set at 2k, but the cones actually have a flat response all the way up to 20k. However the tweeters that come with them are only really effective past 4k, so running stock setup there is a dip in response between 2k and 4k, thanks to the crossovers cutting the woofers out a bit shy of where the tweeters can properly take over.

The Infinity Prefect crossovers have the point set at 3.5k, so they will run the PRS cones a little past what they would normally put out. This should fill the shortfall in the 2-4k band nicely.

Bro you have to draw the line somewhere. If I built a system that sounded "as good as possible" it would cost thousands of dollars, thats why I'm building a system that's as good as possible on my budget. It's going to sound mint as compared to anything I have owned before or anything any of my friends have heard, and so that is all that matters.

Checked the specs...The crossover point on the passives that come the the PRS is set at 2k, but the cones actually have a flat response all the way up to 20k. However the tweeters that come with them are only really effective past 4k, so running stock setup there is a dip in response between 2k and 4k, thanks to the crossovers cutting the woofers out a bit shy of where the tweeters can properly take over.

The Infinity Prefect crossovers have the point set at 3.5k, so they will run the PRS cones a little past what they would normally put out. This should fill the shortfall in the 2-4k band nicely.
So what you're saying is that your PRS mids are essentially the perfect loudspeakers? No, your PRS mids will not play flat all the way to 20khz. They will begin to lose linearity after 2khz (and to a lesser extent, in their target frequency range) and have some nasty breakup between that point and 3.5khz; otherwise, the manufacturer wouldn't have designed them with such a low crossover point.

My guess is that anything you put together will sound "decent" or "mint" because you really don't know what you're dealing with, nor have the experience to properly judge the setups you've heard.

Bro you have to draw the line somewhere. If I built a system that sounded "as good as possible" it would cost thousands of dollars, thats why I'm building a system that's as good as possible on my budget. It's going to sound mint as compared to anything I have owned before or anything any of my friends have heard, and so that is all that matters.
Never said everybody should go top of the line, I said best for the money. But sometimes when people ask for advice and see their ideas get crapped on here rather than being receptive to good advice they stick to what they're planning and say 'That's OK if it doesn't sound great. I don't need 'great sound', I'm not competing. I'm only striving for mediocre anyway.

80$ front components off a decent amp and nothing in the rear would probably sound better than what you're planning.

I could not possibly comment on why Pioneer went with the 2k point given the performance of the bundled tweeters, seems strange to me.

No loud speaker is perfect in reality, but as far as cones go the PRS is pretty dam good. The Perfect cones start dropping off at 3k, not sure about the Kappa ones because there are no charts for them. The PRS ones go well past that. They are called Premium Reference Series for a reason.

And you say you advocate best value for money, but continue to suggest entry level gear. When top notch used gear is priced at the same price as new entry level gear it is clear to me which I would rather take.

So what you're saying is that your PRS mids are essentially the perfect loudspeakers? No, your PRS mids will not play flat all the way to 20khz. They will begin to lose linearity after 2khz (and to a lesser extent, in their target frequency range) and have some nasty breakup between that point and 3.5khz; otherwise, the manufacturer wouldn't have designed them with such a low crossover point.
My guess is that anything you put together will sound "decent" or "mint" because you really don't know what you're dealing with, nor have the experience to properly judge the setups you've heard.
indeedaroonie.

this guy isn't hear for advice. let him do wtf he wants

"I want it to sound as good as possible"but then...

"Well it's not a competition car or anything so the system only needs to sound 'decent', not really great or anything."

Why on earth wouldn't anybody want to get the best sound possible for whatever the money they're spending? Why spend money and work on your vehicle with the goal of 'OK but not TOO good of a sound' in mind?
Indeed.

It seems like there's a mentality that whatever works for a competition vehicle doesn't work for everyday use, as well - I guess I could see that if your listening consists mostly of Jeezy, but for most everything else it works just fine //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Yeah, well put Jim. Not sure If I mentioned I wasn't building for comp so much as every day running about. Would definitely enter it in a comp if they have one near by, just to see how it places.

Anyway I just won the auction for the PRS cones, only cost $18 delivered, so I'm stoked with that. I was watching some vids on YouTube, Pioneer had a build-off contest in 2008 where they invited 22 top car audio dealerships to submit entries. Every one of them had the PRS cones up front. Strangely enough one of the cars entered was a Honda Accord with a stealth install exactly like I was planning on doing with mine.

sarah_palin_pancakes.jpg

Never understood that mentality.
Preach it bro.

Oh yeah decent and entry level is oxymoronic by the way.
I disagree with that statement. I am using entry level components, doing pretty good with them I think //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.