SQ on the cheap

spentfromnz
10+ year member

NZ
Can't be done, right? Wrong, one word for you... eBay!

Background...

I was originally planning on putting a low budget SPL/SQ hybrid system in my new Accord wagon. My intention was to make it the best of both worlds, loudish with mediocre levels of SQ. So I figured a few cheap entry level subs, powered by some even cheaper Alpine knockoff amps would do okay. Well then I came to the realization that SQ is much more important for me, and that SPL is really more about showing off than anything. That and I'm kind of fond of my hearing. I'm a bassist and a drummer, so tight, punchy bass is what I'm seeking.

What I have so far...

HU is a Panasonic C5301W that was in the car when I brought it. It's CD/MP3, motorized, with 2.5v sub out and full range out. Better than the Sony GT260 I kept out of my old car, so that went on eBay. At this stage I'm already up $40.

Then I brought a sub amp, a Pioneer 7400M, that I got in used but brand new condition for $90. It's 400W mono at 2ohm. The sub I have decided on is the Alpine R Type in 10", just waiting for one to come on offer.

Which brings us to the comps. Even though I'm going SQ now I still don't want to spend a fortune on my system. I was looking at cost effective options like the RF P162S or Earthquake's VTEK series, just because I could get a good price on those two locally. But then neither of them really scream quality.

So I began searching through eBay for some high-class comps at decent prices. One problem, good quality speakers seem to retain most of their value at auction. Then I stumbled upon a couple of items that could potentially be an unbeatable bargain. Someone is selling a set of Infinity Perfect tweeters and crossovers minus the woofers for only $30. While at the same time another person is selling Infinity Kappa woofers and tweeters with no crossovers at $1 reserve. If I could just snag those two auctions I would be scoring myself a $250 set of speakers for around $50.

However there is another option, someone is selling some Poineer TSC171PRS woofers without the tweeters or crossovers, also at $1 reserve. Which normally run $300 for a full set. I'm wondering if they will work fine off the Infinity crossover, as I think they would definitely outperform the Kappa cones.

If I do get the two Infinity sets I would end up with 4 tweeters, which should also run fine if I hook them up to the crossover in parallel right?

So your planing on running 4 mismatched tweeters, crossovers and woofers off of H/U power.

What part of this is "SQ"?

Get one decent set of components (complete factory set) and run them off a cheap external amp (Profile). The more money you can spend on the componets, the more "SQ" you'll get.

And of course, the quality of the instalation will determine how good you can make those componets sound.

I think someone is a little misinformed of what SQ really is. But then again SQ is subjective so it could be the best sounding system in the world to him once he get's it installed.

No. He'll do what most people do, install the wrong gear the wrong way, then change it around. Endlessly swapping out componets, trading crappy gear for other crappy gear, wasting tons of money along the way. Most drop out of car audio because they're tired of pouring time and money into it, and never really got to enjoy a decent system along the way.

Sorry, OP, we've seen this way too often.

Trust me. Bite the bullet, buy one decent set of entry level comps, and a basic stereo amp to power them. A decent wiring kit and get a hold of some dampening material and install them as best you can.

Try this:

One of these speakers:

$79 http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7294_Phoenix+Gold+RSd+65cs+-RSd65cs-.html

$89 http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11284_Alpine+SPS-600C.html

$109 http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4284_Boston+Acoustics+S60.html

$120 http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17714_JBL+GTO608C.html

$150 http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5884_Boston+Acoustics+SX60.html

And this amp:

Profile Baja $37

BA400 (Refurbished)

400W BAJA 2 Channel Amplifier

http://www.profilecaraudio.com/amplifiers.htm

BTW, ebay ***** balls.

Of the components DidUHearThat listed the Phoenix Golds are good for that price, I wasnt a fan of the tweeter though. IMO best bang for the bucks comes from the $110 Bostons.

And yeah, don't go through with your idea, get components and an amp...

Of the components DidUHearThat listed the Phoenix Golds are good for that price, I wasnt a fan of the tweeter though. IMO best bang for the bucks comes from the $110 Bostons.
And yeah, don't go through with your idea, get components and an amp...
what did you not like about the rsd tweeter specifically? and do the Bostons keep up with the rsd in midbass?

One of my tweeters blew when I had them. I thought they were kind of harsh as well on the higher end, and lacking a bit on the lower end. Midbass will depend on the install. The midbass on the bostons though I feel sounded a bit more natural. The RSDs have good midbass in a proper install but... I dont know how to describe it... I always told my friends I thought it bad an aluminum or tin like sound to it, and they said they understood what I ment.

One of my tweeters blew when I had them. I thought they were kind of harsh as well on the higher end, and lacking a bit on the lower end. Midbass will depend on the install. The midbass on the bostons though I feel sounded a bit more natural. The RSDs have good midbass in a proper install but... I dont know how to describe it... I always told my friends I thought it bad an aluminum or tin like sound to it, and they said they understood what I ment.
thnx

"mediocre levels of SQ" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

I love when people talk SQ and they MAKE SURE to get proper amplification to the sub then run a cobbled together makeshift front stage off the head unit. He'll end up doing something to fry those fronts when he realizes his setup is all bass and he starts tweaking. Or else he'll end up driving around with his treble boosted to the maximum setting thinking how wonderful the distorted piercing highs sound.

To the OP: Most people who really care about SQ start with the front stage and worry about the sub less than anything else. They look at it as a tool to fill in frequencies that can't be accurately reproduced by other drivers and choose accordingly rather than concentrating most of their resources on a sub and sub amp and then cobbling together mismatched and underpowered component sets.

I love when people talk SQ and they MAKE SURE to get proper amplification to the sub then run a cobbled together makeshift front stage off the head unit.
Didnt you know, most of the SQ comes from the sub!

when people mention, spl they mention deeebeeez along with it... But with SQ.. they just say SQ...

what is to SQ

as dBz is to SPL?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.