SQ on the cheap

With a few changes to your configuration, you could easily get a decent sounding system - those pioneer woofers aren't bad - but you are dead set on your ass-backwards method of mating a bunch of different speakers together with crossover networks that they weren't made to use. At the very least you need to run active if you are going to be using drivers that weren't designed to run together with a specific passive x-over. What you described is not going to be an SQ system - especially not with a ****ing type R to mate with them.

The fact that you tried to say that the pioneer mids have a flat response to 20k indicates just how little you actually know about this. If you don't want to listen to the advice of MULTIPLE people who do actually know, then kindly don't ask for it in the first place.

Aside from it being way cheaper ($300 for a comp set vs $18 for the woofers off ebay), I just think setting the crossovers at 2k was a sketchy move on Pioneer's part. I have been looking at specs on a lot of passives, and the common mark seems to be 3 to 3.5k. My guess is Pioneer wanted to move the image further forward, in which case they should have packaged a wider range tweeter with their PRS set.

If people want to weight in with actual solid facts to back up their opinions then of course I will listen to what they have to say. But to say "that's going to sound terrible because they weren't made to go together", well that's a pretty weak argument. Peanut butter and jelly wasn't designed to go together but people still like it. There's hundreds of other comparisons I could draw but you get what I'm driving at, just because they weren't designed for a specific purpose doesn't mean they can't be used that way.

Also, why is a sealed 10" Alpine R-type no good for SQ? Again this comes down to actually explaining yourself instead of just making general statements. It is one of the few 10" subs available to me that can handle the 400W the amp is putting out. Other than that I would probably have to go with an overpriced Kicker CVR or a fugly JBL P1020e.

So yeah in short I do want to hear what you have to say, as long as it's not baseless speculation.

and spend unGodly amounts of money on subwoofers that play 1-2 octaves at the most.....oh well to each is own I guess...
I completely agree, if there is somewhere to cheap out it would be the sub and amp, you can upgrade later.

Your sub will play less than 1% of the music you listen to, you decide where the money is best spent.

Aside from it being way cheaper ($300 for a comp set vs $18 for the woofers off ebay), I just think setting the crossovers at 2k was a sketchy move on Pioneer's part. I have been looking at specs on a lot of passives, and the common mark seems to be 3 to 3.5k. My guess is Pioneer wanted to move the image further forward, in which case they should have packaged a wider range tweeter with their PRS set.If people want to weight in with actual solid facts to back up their opinions then of course I will listen to what they have to say. But to say "that's going to sound terrible because they weren't made to go together", well that's a pretty weak argument. Peanut butter and jelly wasn't designed to go together but people still like it. There's hundreds of other comparisons I could draw but you get what I'm driving at, just because they weren't designed for a specific purpose doesn't mean they can't be used that way.

Also, why is a sealed 10" Alpine R-type no good for SQ? Again this comes down to actually explaining yourself instead of just making general statements. It is one of the few 10" subs available to me that can handle the 400W the amp is putting out. Other than that I would probably have to go with an overpriced Kicker CVR or a fugly JBL P1020e.

So yeah in short I do want to hear what you have to say, as long as it's not baseless speculation.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

This story seems related to this thread and the OP:

`Fight club' bouts probed at home for the retarded 'CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (AP) - Seven employees at a state-run home for the mentally disabled have been suspended for allegedly staging a "fight club" among residents.

Corpus Christi Police Captain Tim Wilson says the fight clubs were uncovered when someone gave an off-duty police officer a cell phone containing videos of fights at the Corpus Christi State School.

Wilson says the videos show mentally disabled adult clients punching, shoving, and striking each other while the employees watch.

Wilson calls the abuse "appalling." He says police expect to file charges against several employees by the end of the week.

The school opened in 1970 and is home to about 360 people, according to the Web site of the state Department of Aging and Disability Services.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D96RA7F82&show_article=1

You say we cant just state that something will sound bad but why? Theres no need in explaining why a type r has bad sq....coming from experienced people who have tried all these things before you. My guess is you would be totally lost if it were explained to you why...so just accept it as this. The type r is not made for and does not produce adequet SQ, it is an SPL subwoofer. Its simple... thats all you need to know, it doesn't matter why, that's just the facts.

"R-types are no good for SQ because they are designed for SPL" would have been all the explanation I needed. If only someone had said that from the get go. It was actually someone from on here that reccommended the R-Type in the first place.

Ok how about the Soundstream Reference Series RFW-10 instead? Theyre good for SQ yeah? and I just found a great deal on one.

Alpine apparently doesn't think so though, here's how they describe the sub on their website...

Alpine Type-R subwoofers play loud, clean, and long. The Type-R’s are designed from HAMR Engineering, Alpine's exclusive subwoofer solution for cooler operation, longer life, and tight, accurate bass. The main philosophy behind HAMR Engineering is to ensure the ultimate sound quality and performance through the use of highly advanced materials and patented design technologies such as magnetic, structural finite element analysis, and a 3rd generation CRC motor structure. The Type-R subwoofer features an ultra long linear excursion for dynamic, realistic sound. Exclusive cooling technologies contribute to huge power handling capabilities. You can depend on the Type-R to compliment your system with deep, accurate bass.

Of course alpine doesn't ****ing write down that their type r sounds like ass but gets pretty loud. That's why you come to ****ing forums and ask about it - so you can hear about how speakers really perform rather than read the marketing department's description of their 'OMGZ SO AWESOME' subwoofer.

"The Type-R subwoofer features an ultra long linear excursion for dynamic, realistic sound." = SPL woofer being talked up as an SQ woofer

SMDH @ this thread. This has to be one of the most frustrating threads to read. I guess the facts that are sought are those written on paper rather than from numerous people have have listened to the equipment first hand and are all repeating themselves

Ok I just brought a RFW-10 sub from a parallel importer for $80 (RRP on them here is $240). I would have had to pay $140 for an R-type, essentially I have saved $60 on that, so here is what I'm going to do. I'm going to buy a mid-priced component set and try it out as stock and also with the PRS drivers swapped in, so I can compare the two setups. If the PRS drivers do sound better they stay and the other woofers go in the back as rear fill off the HU. Otherwise visa versa.

The amp I am looking at using for the fronts is the Soundstream SPA-1002, aka Power Acoustik PS2-420 (same thing different badge).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.