SQ is weak

jblgti146

SPL is the only way to go in a system, yes you should have highs and mids, but you need that 30hz of true bass that shakes everthing within a mile radius. I just dont understand people who complain how my system olny hits a certin frequences, when my system is soo much louder then theirs. That is the main goal, is'nt it? Peple who value their "tight bass" more then pure SPL bass, must have weak ears or somthing.

Have you ever bothered to go to one of the local shows in the summer? Try listening to the SQ side for a while then go to the DB section. Let me know what you find when you do. I'll bet it isn't what you think.

Mike

hmmm.... everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so i think its kind of biased to say that spl is the only way to go, maybe ur just bitter ur sq isnt too great, or maybe not. but for me, i'd take spl over sq as well, but when it starts distorting, it just *****, so sq does is quite a factor for my listening preferences. the whole point is not just to have the loudest system, its to enjoy ur music. my two cents worth.

Originally posted by jblgti146 SPL is the only way to go in a system, yes you should have highs and mids, but you need that 30hz of true bass that shakes everthing within a mile radius. I just dont understand people who complain how my system olny hits a certin frequences, when my system is soo much louder then theirs. That is the main goal, is'nt it? Peple who value their "tight bass" more then pure SPL bass, must have weak ears or somthing.
As that is your opinion only. I will then assume you will have no objection to my blatant dissagreement with your statements. SQ and SPL are 2 different areas of this sport. SQ is by far the most difficult to accomplish sucessfully, precise imaging and allignment as well as phase adjustments must continually be tweaked so the whole car is a sweet spot that can cover a humans Audiible sound perception range between 20Hz and 20KHz. SPL on the other hand, throw a sub in an enclosure tuned for output at a certain frequency, power it up- tweak the amp for the most gain- and crank it.

Most SPL systems can only provide a small area of actual frequency response, as outside thier tuned frequency range- they are useless.

SQ systems can however, play the entire audio spectrum, clearly and accurately, and still manage to hit in the 140db range. Now as this is well above the human ears threshold for pain (130db), where is the problem?

No, its not all about being the loudest, that is only a typical childish mis-conception that beginners usually have. It is about designing a quality system, weather it be SQ or SPL, that can perform to the listeners satisfaction and enjoyment.

Since you are complaining about valuing tight accurate bass, I will fully invite you to audition my new install this summer. A complete SQ system designed arround IASCA guidlines for SQ competiton in the 601+Pro Class. As I have placed 2nd in one such event previously, I am confident that you will find my system not only to be accurate, and capable of high volume without break-up, but also envigorating and enjoyable.

I promise, your opinion will be slightly altered.

take it easy,

-zane

This is just me, but I don't understand spending thousands and thousands of dollars on your car stereo to not be able to hear anything but sloppy SPL bass...its cool for those who compete, but there are a lot of people around my town that just drive around with the bass pumped and the windows down to impress as many people as possible. I know I'd rather have my SQ system on a long drive...

JELLYDIME

I would rather have anything but SPL on a long drive. My 4 15's that I used to use in my previous SPL setup were murder.

I dont know who those kids think they are impressing either.... gives me a bloody headache.

take it easy,

-zane

I'm an SPL fan myself but I don't discriminate against SQ systems. I wish my car sounded a little better for those 12 hour ride to parts unknown (after my first long trip I rewired my system where I can control the gain to each sub or turn any or all of them off) and I don't know where u got that 130 DB is the human ear's threshold for pain (you may be right I've never heard anyone say) but the only time my ears have hurt was about 155DB. And also I have some friends that have SQ systems and they don't quite do 140DB.

i am not degrating any sq systems, i just need the low frequencies that rip your car apart. Since i need some upper bass frequencies, i was thinking about adding a 10" sub in a small sealed box to hit some of the frequences im missing. but i will never get rid of my bandpass box. i just love those lows..

to each their own, but man sq is awesome! spl is too,yet, ain't suited for everyday. i wish i had more sq( gave it up for spl). every sq system i've heard gets loud, maybe not 150's, but loud. and you can feel the bass. there is a car in cape( neon) that is set-up for sq. it is rf subs, audiocontrol,eclipse and the list goes on and on. outside this car you can tell it hits, but what is cool, you can FEEL it hits. get inside the car and DAM#, not only does it pound, but it SOUNDS awesome. the owner works at a stereo shop and has taken second at atleast one comp(not for sure which, i'll look at the trophy again and try to remember). that rules. so to say sq is weak........well, that's just...weak!

Originally posted by jblgti146 SPL is the only way to go in a system, yes you should have highs and mids, but you need that 30hz of true bass that shakes everthing within a mile radius. I just dont understand people who complain how my system olny hits a certin frequences, when my system is soo much louder then theirs. That is the main goal, is'nt it? Peple who value their "tight bass" more then pure SPL bass, must have weak ears or somthing.
I diagree...my idea of a perfect system is one that is well balanced. Not exactly SPL not exactly SQ. Right dead in the middle is where I want my system to be.

I understand about people wanting SPL, but I would much rather have SQ. I have been in cars with SPL and I have been in cars with SQ. I like my bass to have definition. Whats the point of listening to say a rap song, if the bass is so loud it just sounds awful.

SPL is the only way to go in a system, yes you should have highs and mids, but you need that 30hz of true bass that shakes everthing within a mile radius.
Don't get me wrong SPL is cool, but I can tell you from my experience, if you take a SPL setup hitting 145, and an SQ setup hitting the same. You can hear the SQ setup farther away than the SPL. The reason I believe this not only from experience but if you take in the fact that the SQ setup, the sound waves are very accurate, distortion is not perceptible to the human ear. The waves travel about more freely, with little or no break up. The SPL setup on the other hand, is tuned to a certain frequency, there for only "x" amount of sound waves that are actually accurate. And besides like zane said, who wants to ride around in a something that's gonna make you go deaf, and on top of the $1500 or so you spent on it, you will need to figure in the doctor bills that you will accumulate when you go deaf. If your gonna spend big bucks on a system, at least get some good quality listening time out of it, and I just don't see myself driving down the road trying to shake everything I pass.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.