Splicing into factory amp, bypass factory sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

Raiderfan247365

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oregon
Hey Everyone,

Since bypassing the factory sub on my 98' Navigator worked out so well, I thought I'd try it on my 09' TC.

I have an old set of single voice coil 4 ohm 175 WATT 12" subs that I want to connect to my factory amp instead of the stock 8" sub that is in there. I understand the aftermarket subs may not play nice with the factory amp, I am taking a risk, I get it.

My problem is the factory sub appears to be dual voice coil. But can't I just wire the aftermarket subs in a series and just tap into one set of the wires going into my amp? If I did this method, I could vamp clamp into the wires to test without having to cut the wires fully, then if it worked do the proper soldering, heat shrink etc.. Or could I just twist the positives together and the negatives together from the amp and then splice into the series wired subs?

Obviously I am no expert in wiring subs, I do understand the basics of impedance/ohms and voice coils but any help or advice would be appreciated.

The picture below is showing the connector that goes into the factory amp that I would need to splice into.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.