speakers scratchy after bass

Participant count
  • Participant list

nickolas_j_t
10+ year member

I approve this message
Midwest
When I have my bass down for a few days.. the sound will sound crisp and I can play it as loud as I want with no distortion. When I crank my bass up a little bit.. they start scratching a bit. Pretty bad. They will stay scratchy for a few days until I have played it enough with the bass down. What is this a sign of. I don't think its blown speakers or they would never play perfect... whats up?

It might be your ears playing tricks on you...

The only other explanation I can offer is that wire expands as it gets hot.. so a cool voice coil may not rub or scratch but a hot coil might...

It might be your ears playing tricks on you...
The only other explanation I can offer is that wire expands as it gets hot.. so a cool voice coil may not rub or scratch but a hot coil might...
tell me your hear for comic relief and not to really help with car audio... the only "scratching" ive heard of is when a coil comes unwound. you can push on the center cap and push the sub in when its off and hear the scratching.. a coil is wound TIGHT. obviously you have never seen one or you would know it does not change in size or even be capable of rubbing anything unless the spacing is off in the gap when you recone it or it came unwound

the scratching is on the door speakers though....
the same could apply to speakers if you overpower them but it's more prominent in subs cause theres just so much power..

did you try high passing them like I said?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.