Speakers getting wet, foam cups or fiberglass enclosure for midbass drivers?

Participant count
  • Participant list

gocards

I have just installed my DLS UP6i component set in the front of my car and sound deadened the doors. I installed a rubber "moisture guard/roof" over the midbasses but when I took them out the other day I noticed that they were still getting wet and I am afraid that this will kill my speakers over time. (I just cut in half a rubber tube and glued it, after cutting to shape, to the door above the midbass).

Should I install those foam cups behind the midbasses and cut out the bottom to keep good sound quality or should I build enclosures in the door out of fiberglass?

I emailed DLS and they told me those drivers are suited for infinite baffle or a .31 cube sealed enclosure. I am worried that these enclosures will kill the midbass or effect sound in a negative way. I do think that I can fit that space into the door with some custom work (probably a lot lol). I feel like a .31 cube box would act as a high pass filter for these speakers at a frequency that they could otherwise reproduce without a problem.

Should I go with the foam cups and cutout the back or build the fiberglass enclosures?

-Just for reference I am running UP6I front stage active with 80prs Head unit. 190 watts to the woofers and 75 watts to the tweets. An Infinity Kappa Perfect10 VQ 10" sub and about 600 watts to it in a sealed enclosure.-

Usually a sealed enclosure built to the manufacturer's recommended volume will help the low end response and increase power handling. It also makes the response predictable, which you can only guess at with the door as the enclosure.

Are the speakers getting wet from water dripping onto them, or is it coming from below as well?

It seems like the speakers are getting wet from being dripped onto from above. The only problem with the install is that the door card wont allow for the speakers to be mounted out far enough that water wont drip onto the magnets even with the rubber "umbrella" i have put in //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif and those DLS have relatively shallow mounting depth.

I would look into replacing the outer window to door seals that runs along the bottom of the window cutout on the outside of the door, odds are this is where that water is making it's way in...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.