Speaker Wiring Question...2 sets off 2 channels...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Spl170s
10+ year member

Indiana
maybe this ends up a stupid question to go in fail history...but, i just want some confirmation on what im doing...

i have a ppi 4 channel amp i am running 2 sets of front speakers off of and 1 set on the rear. so, front channels of amp are running 2 ohm 100x2rms and rear at 4 ohm 50x2.

my front stage is a 6 1/2 component set in kicks and a 6 1/2 coax in the door. what i did was ran a heavy wire from amp up to the external crossover box for the comp set input.... then ran my feed to the coax speaker from that same input location on the external crossover. kinda daisy chained it. so wire to input on xover then feeding on to input of coax. this should create a 2 ohm setup on the amp.

so, my question is.....should i be doing this?? i am looking to upgrade my amp to 100w rms setup which is what each set of speakers handle rms... so in 2 ohm it will be 200x2 rms being feed to the external xover.....

am i doing something i shouldn't be? could this damage the xover?

So what you're saying is that you're running you front and rear speakers on the same channel in order to achieve a lower impedance?

Just trying to clarify because I don't really understand.

Let me reword this to clarify, reading my first post was confusing.

I have a 4 channel amp. The rear is not in question, only the front 2 channels of the amp.

What i have done is run a single speaker wire from the front channels up to the external crossover for the alpine 6 1/2 component set. this wire is hooked up to the input connection of this crossover box. of course from there the mid and tweeter are feed accordingly. THEN, i took the speaker wire going to the 6 1/2 coax in the door and also hooked it to the input connection of that crossover. Basically like continuing the feed on past the crossover to feed the door coaxial.

So, with the amp i have right now, it is 50x4 4 ohm rms stereo, and 100x4 rms 2 ohm. With the front stage setup the way it is, it is in 2 ohm setup producing 100w to the front speakers. So, the alpine crossover is seeing 100wrms but that goes on to feed another speaker in the door across that input connection spot on the crossover.

now, the alpines handle 100wrms each set. BUT, im looking to upgrade my amp and go 100w rms 4 ohm, 200w rms 2ohm. so, in essence...with the way im wired, could that external alpine crossover see the full 200w and burn it up?

hopefully that explains it better. if nothing else i will unhook from the input of the crossover and figure out a way to split before it gets to the crossover.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.