Speaker Wire

Participant count
  • Participant list

rgplayer
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Okay so I just got a lanzar opti 2000d and wanted to make sure it worked in my buddies car. We hooked it up he has only got 8 gauge, but I just wanted to make sure it worked so it was fine. Well he has like 16 gauge sub wire lol. So we hooked it up and he turned it up I started to turn the gain up and once it got like 1/2 way up it wouldn't get louder after i turned it more. once he started to unhook it the speaker wire was very hot. What would cause this? Did I get a bad amp or was it just trying to force way more current than the wire could handle.

you need minimum of 12awg for substage. I personally only use 8awg for substage.

The substage generally requires the most current through speaker wire.

You are lucky the wire didnt melt.

The amp is not bad, the wire is, seriously. Need larger wire for substage.

It probably didnt melt for the simple fact that when it started getting that hot, the added resistance it was creating was preventive a lot of potential current from flowing through.

you need minimum of 12awg for substage. I personally only use 8awg for substage.
The substage generally requires the most current through speaker wire.

You are lucky the wire didnt melt.

The amp is not bad, the wire is, seriously. Need larger wire for substage.

It probably didnt melt for the simple fact that when it started getting that hot, the added resistance it was creating was preventive a lot of potential current from flowing through.
x2....My sundown pulls about 26 amps through my 10 gauge sub wire. That many amps through 16 gauge = poof!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.