speaker wire gauges

Participant count
  • Participant list
Depends on the length of the wire.. 10ga is what I always use and is more than enough for almost any setup. It's pretty cheap at 50 cents a foot (of 2 wires) for tinned OFC from KnuKonceptz. Some people use 8ga but it's usually overkill

I've been all over google and there's nothing definitive on the subject.

I plan on upgrading soon and want to do this right, but what gauge speaker wire to use for high power applications stumps me.

Some say it's dependant on what kind of ohm load you are going to use. Doesn't that change the wattage the wire can handle?

Is it possible to double up smaller gauges of wire without ill effects?

Home depot has rolls of 14gauge speaker wire, the kind that has two sides that can peel away from each other.

I am wondering if you can cut a specified length and twist the ends together to create "one" piece of wire. Could that make the wire act as if it is of a lesser gauge than it really is, and therefore handle more wattage/voltage/amperage that it's rated for?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.