speaker question low vs high price speakers

Jimg

CarAudio.com Regular
The truck is well sound deadening

Using amplifiers that do rated power with decent specs, good S/N and good damping factor. Also and the amp power is rated over RMS power for the speakers to have enough headroom.

Headunit is the JVC kwz1000W

Tuning will be done with DSP and RTA readings.

Going with a 3 way setup

option 1 lets say tweeters massive ct 2 tweeters SB acoustics SB17 6.5 inch CT sounds Meso 3.5 midrange
cost for option 1 Around $297

option 2 focal PS165f3 Flax 3 way set
option 2 cost 899.99

Option 3 morel hybrid 63 3 way set
cost for option 3 $1430

Bottom Line if set up correctly are high prices speakers worth it?

Do $2000 speakers sound only a small amount better than say a set of $1000 set, but not worth the cost difference?
Is a $1000 set only a small amount better than a $500 set?

For a 3 way setup what would you say is the magic cost to value to go with , tweeter, 3 inch, 6.5 inch, Brand and model recommended.

Yes, diminishing returns are huge in ultra high $$ speakers. A $400 set of comps will, in general, sound much better than a $100 set of comps. A $700 set of comps will sound marginally better than a $400 set. The ultra high end market is for "audiophiles" who want the absolute best regardless of cost. For those who want excellent sound without clout, the midrange lines. If those speakers are within your budget, I don't think you can beat the audiofrog gb line.

Bottom Line if set up correctly are high prices speakers worth it?
The best sounding sets I have heard are from Dynaudio and Blues Audio. I have mostly used passive crossovers, so you can distinguish differences when using the same amp/radio combo. On that note, I have never heard Audiofrog, Seas Audio, Silverflutes, and a few other brands recommended on this site.
IMO, expensive ($500+) speaker systems are for listening to orchestra music where every nuance/subtlety is important to the work.

Probably not the best one to answer this (Currently running Thesis 3-ways), but not just with speakers but in LIFE, more expensive things are typically better than cheaper ones! A $500 toilet is better than a $100 one, a (new) BMW is better than a (new) Kia, an expensive Cruise Ship is better than Carnival, and so on and so on...

Are there some exceptions? Sure, but typically more expensive speakers sound better than cheaper speakers, especially within the same Brand.

The trick is to find something within your budget, that sounds good to YOU!

No one here is going to be able to tell you, what YOU are going to be satisfied with..

GO LISTEN at shops and stores or buy from Crutchfield so you can return them if/when you don't like them, and read the reviews on Crutchfield..

I would rather have a $1200 2-way set than a $1200 3-way set, sure the 3-ways might sound "fuller: with a dedicated Mid, but (typically) the Tweeter and the Woofer of that 2-way set are of higher quality than the 3-way set.

Also, rather than buying a cheaper set and planning to upgrade later, means you will lose money on the changeover, better to wait and save and then get you desired set...

Is a 30$ cigar better than a 6$ one? Sure, but not 5X better.

From my experience, absolute entry level components >100$ price point are always going to have issues, 120-150$ price point you can get some good sounding ones, 250-400 price range is about the sweet spot for something that should sound really nice, be well built and about the point where you'd be hard pressed to notice much (if any) difference as you start throwing more money at boutique brands.

That all said, some of the nicest setups I've heard didn't use anything terribly expensive, just middle of the road Madisound/Parts Express stuff but with a lot of care into mounting locations/aiming and much trial and error into position/mounting/and DSP.

Of course there may be other compelling reasons to buy some premium priced components (supporting American made, supporting a local shop, customer service, looks, resale value, etc.) but all things being equal if you were sitting on a 400$ set of components you probably won't be blown away by just plug and play a 1200$ set in their place.

I bought a few 250$ (deep discount sale price) CDT 3 way sets last fall and they are really fantastic for the money.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...