Speaker quality help, need amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hello I just bought two 6x9" 800 watt (125 rms) and two 6.5" 400 watt (100 rms) speakers, both 4 Ohms full range speakers. I have a pioneer (25w per channel amp) head unit. im highly disappointed with the sound quality. Is it because i need an amp to power them more. Also what size and kind of amp do i need. I want a 5 channel so i can eventually get a sub. Thanks for your help! Sorry new to car audio.

Hello I just bought two 6x9" 800 watt (125 rms) and two 6.5" 400 watt (100 rms) speakers, both 4 Ohms full range speakers. I have a pioneer (25w per channel amp) head unit. im highly disappointed with the sound quality. Is it because i need an amp to power them more. Also what size and kind of amp do i need. I want a 5 channel so i can eventually get a sub. Thanks for your help! Sorry new to car audio.
There are many contributing factors to the overall sound quality of car door speakers, but in this case it's almost certainly the lack of clean power. That 25W rating on the HU is peak. Really you're looking at less than half that for RMS. It might sound decent at low levels, but as soon as you turn the volume up it's going to distort and sound terrible. There's a lot you can do to improve the sound quality, but for sure the first thing you're going to want to do is amp them. You'll want a 4 or 5 channel amp probably in the 50-125W RMS range per channel (the 5 channel with have a separate higher rating for the 5th channel). The better name brands (and there better lines) often put out more than the data sheet suggests (for example, I have an RF Punch that does 70+ when it's rated for 50). Conversely, if you get the junk-tier amps off amazon or from a store they'll probably do less. I can tell you from experience that you don't necessarily need 100W per channel to get loud and clean. That amp on four speakers in a sedan got louder than I could stand for any length of time and still sounded great.

Personally I'd go with two separate amps rather than a 5 channel, but if you just want to add a bit of low end a 5 channel is great - a lot less wiring and a smaller footprint. There are more amps available than I could possibly list, so I'll let other chime in with their recommendations.

Thanks for reply. i just looked it up and the HU is only 14 rms per channel 50 peak. The guy i bought it new from on ebay said it was 25 rms per channel //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif What are the benefits of adding two amps? Any advice is appreciated!

Also the speakers have the spade connections, and my factory truck speakers did not. The gauge of the wire that came with the speakers are super thin, not sure what gauge but im talking just strands. What gauge do i need? and Should i replace all factory speaker wire, or just the ends i added to connect to speakers.

If you would like a decent 5 ch amp,I have an Elemental Designs 9-5 sitting that will be a nice choice for you.Pm me if interested

PPI.900.5 for a mini/space saver..but the E.Designs i have is larger, and rated @12v on specs that I am aware of.Has a bass knob too and very clean.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.