speaker help...

teeroy
10+ year member

i'm looking at upgrading my stock speakers in my suv. i dont know much about the different brands and models so i was wondering if you guys can help me out.

i need to stay with 6.5" (2 or 3way) for the fronts and 5.25" (2 or 3way) for the rears.

can you guys recommend a high dollar set, mid level and value set? do i need to go 3way for the rears or are 2ways good enuf?

i would recommend a component set for front. There are many choices but my favs include: for budget CDT CL-62 (150ish), for a little added detail over the 62's EF-61CF (180ish), For above those HD-62 or z (310 ish to 360ish), and for the top end ES-620 (460ish) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif There are other brands u can look into like focal,ID,MB,diamond ect. what type of music do u listen too?

i listen to hip hop, house and some jazz... im not looking for ultra hi fidelity or even the bump... just mainly good clean sound (at least better than stock). i just put a tv in my suv so thats why im upgrading.

do you guys have links to these manufacturers? the only brand i heard of was focal. who's cdt?

Do you have an amp to run these speakers, and if not, do you plan on getting an amp?? If you don't have an amp and don't plan on getting one, then don't waste the $$ buying a component set.

i believe my stock system has an amp running the speakers. i dont know the power output tho. im trying not to mess wid the system too much, instead just replace the stock speakers. i dont want to have to get a whole new HU and end up upgrading the whole dvd/nav set up.

dont you think the component setup will sound better even without a high power amp?

NO, I don't. WIthout pushing an amp to them, your not using them to their full extent, hence negating any advantages you had with buying them.

If you just "want something better than stock," there is absolutely nothing wrong with just going down to your local Best Buy, Circut City or any other local car audio shop, listening to the co-axials and ti-axials they have on display purchasing the ones that sound best to you. No one on this board can tell you what you will like sound wise, the only thing that can tell you that is your own pair of ears.

I honestly don't think that spending the extra $$ on a component set you don't plan on purchasing an aftermarket amplifier for is worth it.....especially when they will cost you twice what a decent, nice sounding set of co-axials/tri-axials cost.

aaight... so here's the magic question...

i have a PS2 running on a sony fold-down monitor. when i watch movies or play games the sound isnt as great as the fronts. no surprise here since the rears are coax and are mounted wayyyy down low. now range at all.

so what i want is for the rears to sound as good or as close to good as the fronts. looks like i need to install components too right?

so here's what im thinking... CDT CL61A's for the front and CL51's for the rears. what do you think? do i need the comps for the rears or should i just get coax's?

Like posted above dont spend the money for the components if your not gonna end up running an amp to them. Not only will they not receive the power they deserve, but the "radio/factory amp" power is way to distorted to even try it. Many companies DA,MBQ,Focal,Rainbow,etc.. will actually strongly suggest using an external amp. In fact some of them will tell you that the speakers Will blow without doing so.

Just listen at your local BB,CC or mom&pop shop (typically better selection) and pick what YOU like best. Again like posted above..noone here can tell you what you will like, just their opinions and preferances of what They like.

--Don

ok guys... i took your advice(s) and went out to peep a local shop with items in stock. i listened to a few off the shelf brands, but not the higher ends ones you guys listed (CDT, memphis, focal etc...)

what i ended up with were the MB quarts reference series. i got a good deal on the 216's and the 213's. they sounded great to me in the demo rooms. so i bit the bullet and got them installed. sound way nicer than stock.

so i spoke to a friend and he said there's a way to attenuate the tweeters. anyone know how to do this?

i had them mount the rear tweets on the door panel furthest back to get a surround effect for movies. so now i need to tune them.

can anyone help?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.