SoundQubed HDS310 Enclosure Design

Hey guys,

I put a hole in my Alpine type R sub a few weeks ago. Turns out screwdrivers and subs don't mix too well.

I decided to purchase the SoundQubed HDS310

I've heard pretty good things about these little puppys. Anyways I threw it in my box I built for my Alpine Type R and it's not sounding very nice at all. The bass is just one note, it doesn't go very low and sounds pretty hollow.

I should mention that I have this sub slightly under powered, it's rated for 1200W RMS and I have it powered with a 1000W RMS amp. MB Quart DSC 1000.1

However, I think that the enclosure is my issue, not the lack of power.

This is the box I have right now.

125cubes32hz21sqin4qf.png

I emailed SoundQubed and this is what they told me about my box. "The numbers don't quite add up. Looks like you have a very very long port too."

This was their reply for the box dimensions. "For the HDS310 you will want 1.25^ft NET with 20sq" of vent at 23" long to tune you to 36hz."

Does enclosure sound like it might by my problem? Honestly I'm pretty bad at the science behind subwoofer boxes and designs. Does anyone know a design that would meet those requirements? If they wouldn't mind walking me through the math that would be awesome so I could learn.

I also have two questions about subwoofer box creation.

1. Does sanding the edges of your port pieces make a difference?

2. Should I silicone the inside of the box to make it more air tight.

I was just going to create the box out of 3/4inch plywood like I did my last one.

TL : DR version.

I have a HDS310

I need a box design that "has 1.25^ft NET with 20sq" of vent at 23" long to tune it to 36hz."

My trunk dimensions are:

17" High

39" Length

36" Deep

I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and replying. You guys are the best.

hey look someone who understands tl;dr's

anyways, the soundqubed subs arent made to play low, they prefer being tuned at 35 and that box may be tuned too low.

i dont regularly mess with enclosures so ill tag a few people who may be nice enough to figure out the box volume and tuning to see if its your problem
@Jeffdachef @papermaker (lol) @CSCStang

ok nvm to papermaker theres a lot of people who understand that the hds subs dont gain below 35 tuning
Awe a ton tune to 32 with the larger drivers. But I never had a problem between 34 and 36.. I just flat out think they sound bad. Lol btw not all of the drives are the same. Some can be tuned lower some don't like it.. just depends on what your trying to accomplish

My Alpine R boomed a lot. The mirror shook a lot and even flexed my roof. My HDS310 in the box I currently have isn't nearly hitting as hard. It barely shakes the mirror... It really just sounds flat and one toned. I would love to make a box for the proportions soundqubed suggested I just don't know enough math to figure it out myself //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.