sound too sharp

Participant count
  • Participant list

el_dogster

phil
hi. just want to ask. im currently using a peerless D6 midbass and tweeters. sound nice and loud but i noticed that the sound gets too sharp if i pump up the volume. and it kinda hurts my ears. im just wondering if anybody who's using the same speaker had the same experience. thanks.

i wouldn't attenuate the tweeter.

If you have an eq...bump around 2500-3000hz down a few db and it should help out a lot.

Those frequencies kill my ears also

try swapping the phase of each tweeter one at a time and see if it helps. making a cd with pink noise on it should make the difference more obvious and easier to tell which way is right or more desirable to you.

if phase doesn't help try the EQ. the problem area for you could be as low as 1k or even 800hz. i know i personally could take loud cymbals all day long but certain guitar notes could make me wanna shoot myself.

try to listen carefully and see what instruments are really bothering you and use this interactive graph to try to pinpoint things a little more.

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

for example, if its the guitar thats bothering you, then messing with anything 5k or above won't help. if it is the shimmer of the cymbals then your problem area is around 7k and higher, figuring it out is the 1st half of the battle. 2nd half is figuring out how to fix it.

i recently had a problem where i just couldn't tame my upper mid-range no matter what i did, the solution was to move my tweeters. so don't rule out speaker position as the cause. speaker placement and aiming has the BIGGEST affect on sound, next would be crossover points/slopes, and then phasing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.