Sound stage.

Partially agree. Though it wouldn't be without hassle. The x-overs are truly ******, more ****** looking than I've even seen pictures of. Plus, I am yet to adjust the x-overs themselves, and additionally, I'd need to swap for a 4ch amp.
It would be worth it. When I had the 3 way on the 80prs my 450/4 ran the mid and tweeter with its CO. If I needed to move the tweeter the mid went with it. I got it down to a narrow bandwidth of annoyance. Drove me nuts.

I had a calibration CD before that had male and female voices that would say what part of the car they should be coming from.

I could get the male right but the female would pull. Got the female right the male would pull.

The way it was setup was basically passive but I could control power and CO.

Hmmm...I thought TAing the sub stage is pointless, too. I've even read that group delay is negligible, but in practice, TAing the substage makes a difference, especially the higher the notes the sub plays. I think I've also assumed OP was doing this manually.

Hmmm...I thought TAing the sub stage is pointless, too. I've even read that group delay is negligible, but in practice, TAing the substage makes a difference, especially the higher the notes the sub plays. I think I've also assumed OP was doing this manually.
Harmon said it don't matter. At least in my case it didn't matter. You have to get into the 200s to start noticing direction. Maybe it's the way the EQ sets up idk. The MS-8 has its algorithm and it works, way above my head for whatever it does. Maybe I just got lucky with the install.

I had a issue with the 80prs. It always made the stage tiny and to much on the driver side. I just started moving the mic around during the auto tune till I found a good spot. I think your biggest issue is the tweeter crossover. That mid is playing to high causing it to get raspy.
Ive still been playing with 3-5k crossover. It sounds better at 3k but KHA recommended that Hertz speakers be crossed over higher than that for whatever reason. Right now its at 4k at 12 db.

Substage. SSF 28ish. LPF 125 at 12db.
Mid. HPF 80. at 12 or 24. i dont recall. prob 12. LPF 4k 12db

Tweets. HPF 4k 12 db.

All speaker phases have been flipped for 12 db accordingly.
Ohhh well, you probably don't need to have LPF for the mid to be at 4k anyway. Cross it lower, see what happens. OR cross it at a higher slope. Not sure what 80PRS has as settings, I can do 48db and probably steeper. Crossing at 12db at the same x-over point would give you too much "warmth" as you end up having multiple drivers playing same frequencies.

Ive still been playing with 3-5k crossover. It sounds better at 3k but KHA recommended that Hertz speakers be crossed over higher than that for whatever reason. Right now its at 4k at 12 db.
Maybe just that line. I brought mine down to 3k -24

Lol bring that sub down to 63. Read up on crossover networks and slopes.

Maybe just that line. I brought mine down to 3k -24
Lol bring that sub down to 63. Read up on crossover networks and slopes.
I know where the sub should be the the ESK line has next to no midbass so i have to have my sub crossed high in order to have any midbass.

Ohhh well, you probably don't need to have LPF for the mid to be at 4k anyway. Cross it lower, see what happens. OR cross it at a higher slope. Not sure what 80PRS has as settings, I can do 48db and probably steeper. Crossing at 12db at the same x-over point would give you too much "warmth" as you end up having multiple drivers playing same frequencies.
Well the prs crossover are preset so you have options of like 2.5. 3.5. or 5. or something like that. They are between 500-1000hz apart from eachother so id have to have a pretty shallow slope in order to not lose a large section of sound.

Erins calculator - http://tracerite.com/calc.html

I've also been unhappy with left/right TA and have, for now, concluded center of dash really does sound awesome. You also have to remember that the rest of the stage should still "fit" on the dash. If the center is in front of you, instruments played to your left would then have little space left, so that's why it probably muffled the vocals. Also, the manual for my speakers says (and there are) options to change x-over slope and frequency for the tweeters, which I believe changes their on and off axis response. I'll dig it up for more detail. I think sound stage adjustment is not only done via TA, but also with EQ and playing with x-overs. Remember, if you were to disable the driver side tweeter, the stage will almost full shift to the right. This is also where it gets dicey as messing with this can damage the tweeter.
Xovers don't change the on/off axis response and if you turn off the tweeters it would shift to the right to an extent depending on how low you're crossing the tweeters at. If you cross your tweeters too low than you can definitely damage them.

I had a issue with the 80prs. It always made the stage tiny and to much on the driver side. I just started moving the mic around during the auto tune till I found a good spot. I think your biggest issue is the tweeter crossover. That mid is playing to high causing it to get raspy.
I wouldn't use the supplied mic and auto tune feature on the 80prs, it doesn't do a very good job at all and I've tried the auto-tune on the 80prs, 800prs, and 99rs, all which i've owned.

TA'ing the sub does make a pretty big difference with blending it to your midbass. If you don't have TA abilities, just reverse the phase on it and see how you like it.

Harmon said it don't matter. At least in my case it didn't matter. You have to get into the 200s to start noticing direction. Maybe it's the way the EQ sets up idk. The MS-8 has its algorithm and it works, way above my head for whatever it does. Maybe I just got lucky with the install.
Sub is definitely not the most important thing to time align but it does seem to help.

Substage. SSF 28ish. LPF 125 at 12db.
Mid. HPF 80. at 12 or 24. i dont recall. prob 12. LPF 4k 12db

Tweets. HPF 4k 12 db.

All speaker phases have been flipped for 12 db accordingly.
Usually a decent starting point would be your mids around 63-80hz with a 24db slope depending on how low they can play to around 3khz-3.5khz. Tweeters 3khz up and also 24db slope. Try not to overlap them so much with the shallow slopes.

I'm not sure what you mean by your phase being flipped 12db? Do you just mean that you've flipped the polarity on all your speakers? I wouldn't recommend doing that but you can always play around with that. The calculator should give you a good base with the TA, the xovers you'll have to play with a bit.

MMM. Tuning is fun.

Sub: LPF 125 at -36db so pretty much 125hz and below and barely anything above that is played.

Mid HPF 125 at -6db. giving me -6db at 62 hz which is fine since these speakers dont really play that low anyway. However, i still get forward stage bass //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Mid LPF 2.5k at -12 db which means at 5k im 12 db down.

Tweet: HPF 4k at -6. so 2k at -6 seems safe.

All in all. It sounds much much cleaner.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.