Sound Deadening Information

Ok so there is a lot to know about sound deadening, my question is this, where can I find information about different kinds of sound deadening and how it works. I'm interested in knowing the science behind the ish, not just fancy marketing gimmicks. I would assume that all of the sound deadening manufacturers have all the same stuff just rebranded, no? Dynamat, Stinger's Roadkill and all the other guys out there. Are their any companies that have and innovative products that are exclusive to them?

I have seen keep_hope_alive's build and it is amazing. I would like to do something like this to my vehicle as well. Says he's an acoustics engineer. I'm hoping he, or maybe someone else, can educate me a little, or maybe point me in a good direction to get started. I want to make sure that I am reading good material and not wasting precious time reading nonsense.

SDS is a great company, I have used their products and had several conversations with the owner. He knows his stuff and it just seems pricey until you realize how much is really necessary.

This site is a good place to learn a little bit, also good products from what i hear just a little pricey.
https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/content/understanding-vehicle-noise
This.

In short there is Dampener, Closed Cell Foam, and mass loaded vinyl.

The basics are the dampener needs to have a butyl back for this to work best. It absorbs the vibrations caused by speakers and road and turns them into heat which is then dissipated via the aluminum layer. The thicker the aluminum and butyl the better it will deaden. The closed cell foam is used to prevent rattles between layers in the door, pillars, etc. and mass loaded vinyl is to prevent outside noise from coming in and vice versa.

Ok so there is a lot to know about sound deadening, my question is this, where can I find information about different kinds of sound deadening and how it works. I'm interested in knowing the science behind the ish, not just fancy marketing gimmicks. I would assume that all of the sound deadening manufacturers have all the same stuff just rebranded, no? Dynamat, Stinger's Roadkill and all the other guys out there. Are their any companies that have and innovative products that are exclusive to them?
I have seen keep_hope_alive's build and it is amazing. I would like to do something like this to my vehicle as well. Says he's an acoustics engineer. I'm hoping he, or maybe someone else, can educate me a little, or maybe point me in a good direction to get started. I want to make sure that I am reading good material and not wasting precious time reading nonsense.
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/audio-technix/516676-huge-deadener-comparison.html

Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum - View Single Post - 2002 VW Golf stealth SQ build (an engineering student's perspective)

and for EVERYTHING ELSE

Sound Deadening (CLD) Testing - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

if your wondering who was best. its SDS CLD tiles, also known as sound deadener showdown

I've stumbled upon that site a few times once before looking around and found it quite informative. The only thing is this, what make their products "superior" to the others that are saying that their products are the most-superior-istic-est-ed of the rest. I know there is a lot of snake's oil/rebranded stuff being sold in this industry so I must be super inquisitive. Not saying that HE is selling snake oil, just saying in general. Is the the patented organic-butyl polymerization process that has a proprietary blend of halogenated and non-halogenated compounds that add superior viscoelasticity properties that redefine the sound deadening game.... Know what I'm sayin'... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Thank you for all those good sources, I will read more into it before I make any purchases. Even before I start to muddle around with buying and reading I need to finish up my amp install //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Sds cld tiles. Im not sure if he ever got around to setting up easy ordering. I had to call them with my payment info after emailing my measurements and getting a quote. Just a bit of a hassle but worth it.

Other very good brands are stinger and raamat.

Ive used raamat and sds. Both are solid

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Sds cld tiles. Im not sure if he ever got around to setting up easy ordering. I had to call them with my payment info after emailing my measurements and getting a quote. Just a bit of a hassle but worth it.
Other very good brands are stinger and raamat.

Ive used raamat and sds. Both are solid

But again what makes them "solid"/better is it the viscoelasticity and thickness of the butyl in conjunction with thicker aluminum? Thicker wire means more current type of deal.

But again what makes them "solid"/better is it the viscoelasticity and thickness of the butyl in conjunction with thicker aluminum? Thicker wire means more current type of deal.
Read the last link I sent you. A guy with a ton of acoustical tools measures things I dont even know how to explain. He does multiple multiple tests on about 100 different kinds of deadener.

You will find everything your looking for in that thread.

In short answer.

The quality of the butyl: its melting point needs to be high so it doesnt fall apart in a high temp car in the summer. Also (I think) butyl has a certain scientific term where it absorbs energy faster than it releases it. Thus allowing sound deadening. Aborbs sound long enough for it not be an issue of resonancs and reflection.

I know the thickness of the butyl and the thickness of the aluminum( I think its aluminum) come into play. Some companies have different thickness of aluminum backing. The ratio of aluminum and butyl plays a big roll.

Thats about all I remember. There is tons of information in that thread, but be prepared to read alot

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.