Sound Deadener???

djarmy2004
10+ year member

djarmy2004
Ok Im looking at getting one of the 3 as i did look into second skin since everyone on here loves that stuff but its a little out of the budget since i just spent 980 in the past week. Please let me get your opinions on these items and which you would choose for the vehicle in my sig.

I am gonna order 80 of these tiles if its more suggested

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/cld

1 Roll of this

http://www.fatmat.com/bulk/fatmat/100.html

Or 1 Box of this

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10455-Xtreme-Bulk-Sheets/dp/B00020CB2S/ref=tag_gam_ptcn_edpp_url/186-7783347-8185901

The main thing steering me towards the fatmat is that i can get more SQ FT than the others.

I've learned the hard way that most sound deadening material sold by the "roll" isn't all that great. Thus far, Fatmat, eD, and Raammat have all managed to fall into the "not so great" category.

I've learned the hard way that most sound deadening material sold by the "roll" isn't all that great. Thus far, Fatmat, eD, and Raammat have all managed to fall into the "not so great" category.
I would agree with this for the most part although Raamat being the best out of the rolled deadeners.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com would be my choice. No question.

One of the most important things to understand is that more coverage with an inferior product is not better than less coverage with a higher quality material. In other words, don't be lured into using an inferior product like FatMat just because you get more coverage. All you'll end up accomplishing is spending more time laying down more material and ultimately achieving worse results.

Anti-vibration: butyl/alum. foil mat - used to damp resonations in panels (metal/plastic). Typical requirements 25% coverage in the center of large, flat panels. More can be used but with diminishing returns. This material is not used to block sound, and although it will block some sound with high coverage and layers, it is not as effective as other options specifically geared for blocking sound. Sound Deadener Showdown tiles and Second Skin Damplifier Pro are your two best available products.

Sound barrier: mass loaded vinyl or lead sheets - used to physically block sound waves, high density blocks and reflects away sound wave energy. Typical requirements are high coverage, minimal holes/open areas. Sound waves wrap around and take the path of least resistance. Sound will come in where it can, so higher coverage is better. Typically this barrier is separated from the surrounding surfaces by a decoupler, in most cases a foam. The foam allows the barrier to float and not transmit sound wave energy to adjacent objects. Second Skin offers their Luxury Liner products. Cascade offers a number of vinyl and lead barriers. Sound Deadener Showdown offers separate foam and mass loaded vinyl sheets.

Sound absorber: open cell foam, cotton, wool, fiberglass batting - used to trap and absorb sound waves. It is the sound equivalent to a black hole. The function isn't to block outside noises but rather take care of inside ones, think room echo or boominess. Typical requirements are placement in key areas to reduce internal reflections/resonances. To be functional, these materials need to be quite thick, on the order of 2" minimum to 6"-8" typical or greater. The high thickness is required to make the material functional for lower frequencies. A thin absorber will only absorb very high frequencies. The high thickness requirement makes it less useful for in-car applications and typically is never used or at least to any significant extent. Typical usage is in home like the fiberglass batting in walls for both insulation and sound absorption between rooms. Applications in-car will be very limited to locations that would actually allow significant thickness to be used.

do your research and learn how the cld really works. Its not meant to cover every single inch of door and trunk. For the tiles you place a piece about 25% of the area in the center of where you are putting it. Not like when you get something like second skin when its necessary to cover EVERYTHING

i used fatmat once.................

then i replaced it with something that actually stuck to my car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

try out the sounddeadener showdown products, i hear they are pretty good

also look into second skin, they too make some pretty promising products from what i have seen

do your research and learn how the cld really works. Its not meant to cover every single inch of door and trunk. For the tiles you place a piece about 25% of the area in the center of where you are putting it. Not like when you get something like second skin when its necessary to cover EVERYTHING
Just so you know, Second Skin is the name of the company. Not the name of a product. Products have application specific methods of installation. Companies do not.

I guess though, part of what you said is sort of correct.

Some of our products do require that you cover EVERYTHING. Like our mass loaded vinyl barriers; Luxury Liner and Luxury Liner Pro for example. Luxury Liner Pro does require that you cover as much as possible. The closer you get to covering EVERYTHING the better off you will be. But this is true for all heavy noise barriers. It is not unique to ours.

So in a sense, I guess you are kind of right..

ANT

Just so you know, Second Skin is the name of the company. Not the name of a product. Products have application specific methods of installation. Companies do not.
I guess though, part of what you said is sort of correct.

Some of our products do require that you cover EVERYTHING. Like our mass loaded vinyl barriers; Luxury Liner and Luxury Liner Pro for example. Luxury Liner Pro does require that you cover as much as possible. The closer you get to covering EVERYTHING the better off you will be. But this is true for all heavy noise barriers. It is not unique to ours.

So in a sense, I guess you are kind of right..

ANT
i wasn't trying to offend you. Sorry if i did. Let it be know. You are still the man

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.