Sound deadener fill, what should I use..

Jaguar
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
GA
Sup boys. I'm wondering if someone could tell me what material would be a good substitute for use as an alternative with sound deadening properites

to fill in the larger gaps (the holes) on the underside of the lid of my trunk. I realize it's fine to cover the smaller holes and curves with sound deadener,

but I have 2 gaps (see photo) that are hollow i feel would be best to fill before adding sound deadener over it. I could put a layer through the gaps of

metal (of deadener) to cover the inner bass, add filler and then cover over those gaps with more sound deadening mat. Sounds like a plan, but what

would be best? EPDM, Felt Laminate, Car Insulation Felt, Closed Cell Foam, Polyfil, Fiberglass insulation, Bonnet Insulation? Something I can pick up at

Ace, or Home Depot would be great. Thanks in advance.

adjoS5CE.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
there are ways to do it, that have been mentioned around this site multiple times, a search should be quite beneficial...

and for someone who knows so much about sound deadener as your comparison thread demonstrated you should have no problem figuring this out.

there are ways to do it, that have been mentioned around this site multiple times, a search should be quite beneficial...
and for someone who knows so much about sound deadener as your comparison thread demonstrated you should have no problem figuring this out.
If I didn't know any better I would think by your reply your so sad you want to cry, I hope you feel better soon. Honestly, I have NO idea what's up with how sour

individuals on caraudio.com seem at times. You would think everyone would be in a great mood to come together and discuss something they have a common passion

for. If not why come at all? From the younger people I understand, but adults? LOL, anyways, that's sort of been something I have noticed for a while, do not necessarily mean to take it out on you. It was a simple question, but I'll try the search feature, again, thanks.

[quote name='denim']In my car, we used Thinsulate in the headliner and CCF in the doors.
SDS install log on the SSA Mazda - SSA Car Audio Forum[/QUOTE]
Thanks @denim I have that link bookmarked.
[quote name='audiobaun']4 Black ABS Plastic Sheet 12"x12"x1/8" Car/Stereo/Audio/Interior/Customize/Hobby | eBay
You can use this to cover up that opening on the trunk, then run sound deadner over it to seal the lid easily,and make it more rigid,and stick/seal[/QUOTE]
Thanks @audiobaun

I had a look around Home Depot today for some filler. This is pretty much all they had. Before anyone starts, be advised, I am not recommending
any of these products, nor can I vouch for any of them as a substitute filler. I was merely researching the types of products I have heard others
say they have used before. Whether they are all poor substitutes or not, or are capable of acting as a filler coupled with sound deadener is some
-thing I rather leave commenting on for more experienced members. Actually it's not my intention to use any of these products besides a filler I
could use with sound deadenening mat for my problem.

This sort of ''natural fiber insulation'' reminded me of car insulation.
admXZ14d.jpg

I took some out for caraudio.com. A huge bag for around $11.00
adtOkSE2.jpg

Just some carpet insulation, probably won't use any of it.
aboSfeaq.jpg

This was the closest thing I could find to Closed cell foam. $5.99 a roll.
abkyrXDP.jpg

Fiberglass insulation, but as for what I read I would not recommend it. $12.00 for a huge roll.
aco4JjFe.jpg

[quote name='Jaguar']Thanks @denim I have that link bookmarked.

Thanks @audiobaun

I had a look around Home Depot today for some filler. This is pretty much all they had. Before anyone starts, be advised, I am not recommending
any of these products, nor can I vouch for any of them as a substitute filler. I was merely researching the types of products I have heard others
say they have used before. Whether they are all poor substitutes or not, or are capable of acting as a filler coupled with sound deadener is some
-thing I rather leave commenting on for more experienced members. Actually it's not my intention to use any of these products besides a filler I
could use with sound deadenening mat for my problem.

This sort of ''natural fiber insulation'' reminded me of car insulation.
admXZ14d.jpg

I took some out for caraudio.com. A huge bag for around $11.00
adtOkSE2.jpg

Just some carpet insulation, probably won't use any of it.
aboSfeaq.jpg

This was the closest thing I could find to Closed cell foam. $5.99 a roll.
abkyrXDP.jpg

Fiberglass insulation, but as for what I read I would not recommend it. $12.00 for a huge roll.
aco4JjFe.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Any of that gets wet, other than the foam seal,and you may have some issues or run into some problems..not recommended

[quote name='audiobaun']Any of that gets wet, other than the foam seal,and you may have some issues or run into some problems..not recommended[/QUOTE]
@audiobaun well, the properties of that specific product is polyethylene, to my understanding that's basically what closed cell foam is so It might work
but as far as density of that product, my guess is it would not be the best out of the substitutes listed as a sound deadening material, your thoughts?
Whatever I end up using will end up being sealed, the risk for any of the fill chosen getting wet is very very low.

someone mention keep hope alive in here,

and jag, dont take things too seriously around here, there is always a lot of good help around here, sometimes it is just a few of us, but we do have to take a stab at someone a time or 2.

i do know that often times to fill holes is to use a thin plate of metal over the holes and a layer of deadener over top of it to seal it in place, you can also use great stuff if you want to make it solid and permanent

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.