Sound cutting out, help!

comp2007
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have a 12" critical mass ls 12 running off an alpine mrp m650 as well as jbl speakers all around running off a 4 channel alpine amp. I recently installed a new pioneer f700bt head unit and lately while driving the sound will cut out like its skipping but it happens with both cd and fm radio. What do you think is causing this? It plays fine when I am sitting still, only cuts out while moving on somewhat rough roads. The wiring has a lot of splices everywhere I was thinking of rewiring everything, should that fix the problem? Thank you.

Yes, fix the wiring. It sounds like the power or signal is getting interupted.
Ok so this for sure? The original install has spliced wires everywhere from the factory wiring to the head unit and all around. I am really upset with the work they did, I just dont want to rewire everything and still have problems.

Anyway you can take it to whoever did the work? Unfortunately, this may have to be done anyway, in order to make sure it isn't the wiring. Either way, if the wiring is as bad as it sounds, cleaning it up couldn't hurt.

Anyway you can take it to whoever did the work? Unfortunately, this may have to be done anyway, in order to make sure it isn't the wiring. Either way, if the wiring is as bad as it sounds, cleaning it up couldn't hurt.
It was in a different state. If it only happens when driving im thinking the wiring is the most likely problem correct? I am going to re-wire everything but wanted to make sure it would fix the problem. Any other ideas of what it could be? I checked all the grounds and connections all is fine.

Here ya go very simple solution to see if it is the wiring.

The Wiggle Test

Reach in and grab a few wires coming out of the head unit

Now pull and push on them

From your description of it cutting out on rough roads this should make it do the same. This tells you there is a bad connection in one of those splices.

(just an fyi all of my connections to my headunit are soldered there will be no loose splices)

We rewired the entire system today and it sounds awesome as usual. Still cutting out when driving! Could it be for the bypass the mute wire and the brake are grounded together then screwed to the actual head unit? Hard to explain but they are grounded together then a loop ground to the back of the head unit and screwed in. Could this be causing the cutting out?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.