Sound cuts off on amp, but it doesn't turn off.. ideas?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Giovanni15
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
My amp will be fine for a couple of minutes, then the sound will go off, but the amp will stay on but doesnt go into protect. and sometimes the sub will start to kind of rumble, sometimes little popping sounds. then ill just mute the headunit. i can wait for a little while and the amp will be fine again. and then it starts doing it. My setup is a brx1600.1D on an Fi BL fully loaded. i did not have this trouble before. I upgraded from 4 gauge to 0 gauge, and thats when it all began. Same ground, same everything, just went with bigger wire. I don't know what can be causing this. Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Protect light coming on? check voltage levels when its happening. make sure rca's didnt get damaged during the change. check sub ohms.
No protect light does not come on. Voltage is fine stays around 14v. i didnt touch the rcas. i have yet to check the ohms so i will do that next. thanks. this is just weird. i tried switching amps to see what happened. so i put in my saz1500. what happened with that one is that it will just turn off. it wont go into protect or anything. then randomly it will come back on. both these amps were fine before when i had the 4 gauge so idk. can the sub make the saz turn off if its something with the ohms?

Check your power and grounds and your remote. Then double check them.
ive been playing around with here in the last few minutes and i think i may have found the problem. whenever i move around the connection from the battery to the power wire, the sub seems to kick back on. i think maybe i didnt solder the terminal on right or something. i will replace it and update this post once i see if that is the problem

i switched the litte bit of wire from battery to the fuse holder and it hasnt cut off anymore. i looked at it and the solder looks like it start to separate from the terminal. i believe this solved my problem. but now im worried because i did that terminal with all my big 3 wire terminals. makes me think those are all faulty now. idk how i could mess up soldering? it was my first time but now im just going to buy a crimper and redo my big 3 and the rest of the soldered terminals

sounds like you didn't get the terminal and wire hot enough - it's called a "cold solder joint". they are faulty. using the right torch to properly heat everything up can save the terminals.

i always crimp. and if necessary, solder after the crimp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.