Sound activated LED strips

Sguirrelfeather

Senior VIP Member
Not for me, for my friend whose car I'm helping with. Just had to get that disclaimer out there! lol

So, I've googled the hell out of this and found LOTS of options. Problem is, I don't know what's good, what's crap, etc. Anyone have any experience using these kinds of things? Also, on some reviews I found that they worked well reacting to mids, but not to the beat of the music. My friend wants something that will react to the bass. He's willing to go basic or with the Arduino type programmables.

Just plug them into the speaker terminals of the amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rotflol.gif.b453361716769b8110ddefc85ff03cd2.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rotflol.gif.b453361716769b8110ddefc85ff03cd2.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rotflol.gif.b453361716769b8110ddefc85ff03cd2.gif

if you've got a good basic knowledge of circuitry and how to orchestrate angry electron pixies, id recommend an arduino configured to trigger frequency dependent led blocks from a full range stereo rca signal.
This is what I was thinking (certified electron pixie wrangler here), but I don't have zip for experience with the Rasp Pi or Arduino units. I'd have no idea which unit to get, how to program it, etc etc. lol I have seen a lot of script written for stuff like this, but they're all Greek to me as to what it's telling the LEDs to do, what frequency to go off of, etc. And the guy I'm helping doesn't even know what an Arduino is. lol So, having said all that, I don't suppose you have any more input, such as which Arduino model to get, where to find programming, etc?

Just plug them into the speaker terminals of the amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rotflol.gif.b453361716769b8110ddefc85ff03cd2.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rotflol.gif.b453361716769b8110ddefc85ff03cd2.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rotflol.gif.b453361716769b8110ddefc85ff03cd2.gif
Tempting! lol Actually, his subs have three LEDs built into them which DO hook right up to the wiring leads. No idea how that's possible unless there's some weird circuitry hidden in there somewhere. Cranked (50 volts) those suckers should blow in a heartbeat.

This is what I was thinking (certified electron pixie wrangler here), but I don't have zip for experience with the Rasp Pi or Arduino units. I'd have no idea which unit to get, how to program it, etc etc. lol I have seen a lot of script written for stuff like this, but they're all Greek to me as to what it's telling the LEDs to do, what frequency to go off of, etc. And the guy I'm helping doesn't even know what an Arduino is. lol So, having said all that, I don't suppose you have any more input, such as which Arduino model to get, where to find programming, etc?
i would definitely stay away from 'sound' activation using a mic as environmental sonic anomalies can make it buggy.

anyways, a micro controller by itself wont be able to do everything, you'll need to build the circuits it's going to control in most cases, but you'll prob need a crash course in arduino. its a very large open source/freeware community and fairly easy to use once you get past the programming learning curve http://forefront.io/a/beginners-guide-to-arduino/

there is ALOT of developer forums and programs for arduino format out there, there's even their own forum on their website https://forum.arduino.cc/, the problem is searching through it all to extrapolate programming tid bits you want to use.

choice of unit should be reserved until you get an idea of how large/comprehensive the project will be, but if it's a simple program, you wont need anything too fancy. i found this diy vid for exactly your application using an arduino controlling an equalizer ic chip that splits the frequencies, but im not sure which unit it is.

I've found a lot of info, and I think that's actually the problem...there's too much info! lol I saw a similar video using the same chip. Someone else just used the old school method of a cap and resistor and replaced the mic with an RCA input. Reasoning was he was able to be more selective with his frequencies. I've probably just got to bite the bullet and start doing things. They say doing Arduino is the best way to learn it.

I done mine wired to the subwoofers then I put a switch in between so I can only use the lights for demo purpose off road.  Its illegal to drive with red/ blue (emergency light colours) which shows to the oncoming traffic and the cops will fine you in Australia for having them on or worst case scenario, they can defect your vehicle so you cannot drive it.  if you do intend to install them, just use a switch in between to switch them when required.

20151121_095630.jpg

1460531724955.jpg

IMG_20140313_192424.jpg

20170224_181116.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.