Sony Xplod speakers...Good investment or bad choice?

Well, sony seems to be the butt of everyone's jokes around here. It really just depends on what you are trying to acomplish in getting a system put together. I personally have no use for sony speakers but that doesn't make them bad. Just not what I was wanting to acomplish in my system. I would listen to various kinds of speakers if you can, find out what sounds good to you and go with that. If sony sound good to you after hearing others, then you have your answer.

MBRock, for the price ($80 for a pair of 6.5" Sony Xplod speakers), the speakers sound great, at least to me they do, and they have a full 30Hz to 30kHz response with 92dB sensitivity, which is right on par with the capabilities of the human ear, so for the price, I see no reason not to get them.

you can do MUCH better for the price, and totally disregard those specs, they are all but meaningless because manufacturers do not have a good standard on how to measure them.

for $75 + shipping you can get the Pioneer REV's:

http://www.millionbuy.com/piotsd161r.html

and the'll blow the Sony's away. You could also look into Kicker, Polk, and Infinity coaxials for something that'll sound better than the Sony's that you should be able to find locally, but you can get a lot better deals online (the REV's are quite expensive at Circuit City).

Also, most people would agree that betting 6.5's for the front along with a small two channel amp, and then ditching the 6x9's in the back, is the best bet.

I know specs are meaningless. I am just saying that the Sony Xplod speakers sound fine to me, and I compared them with Eclipse and Rockford Fosgate speakers at circuit city and, to me, the Sony Xplods sounded just as good as the Rockford Fosgates did.

I do have them in my vehicle. I have two 6.5" Sony Xplods mounted directly to the metal door frame (bad idea, I know) and two 6x9's in the rear deck, and even though the back speakers are a little louder, both sets produce clear sound at all ranges. I get good bass with these speakers, which is what I like. Most of the more expensive speakers did not have the level of bass that these Xplods do. The HOP woofer cone and the PEI Dome tweeter and PEI Dome supertweeter provide clear sound throughout all the ranges, and I get the same bass as a small 8" subwoofer would produce. All that without an amp...I'm running the 52W peak 17W RMS x 4 channels straight from the CDX GT200 head unit's built-in amplifier to get that kind of sound. The 6.5" speakers are rated for 220W peak or 55W RMS and the 6x9's are rated for 240W peak or 80W RMS. On some of the more intense songs, I can actually feel the bass coming off the HOP woofer cones, and its enough for me to actually see the bass pulses in the interior mirror. It is kinda hard to describe the level of sound quality I am getting with these Sony Xplods, but they seem to me as if they are worth a lot more than what Sony asks for them. The high-end sounds come out clear, too. I am able to hear the soft metallic song of a cymbol being tapped by a drumstick. At times, it feels and sounds like I've got a full setup in my car because of the amount of bass and the sharpness and quality of the music that these Sony Xplod speakers and head unit produce.

No RF at CC //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
Anyways, Sony speakers aren't bad speakers if you're looking for just a set of speakers to throw in your doors to improve the sound over your stock speakers. I had 'em in my first system. Off of deck power, they get loud, sure, but they distorted easily at high volume, even when amped. For most people who dont have such a picky ear, they're great. However, if you demand audiophile quality performance from your speakers, the sonys are a long shot away.

Bottom line: Good speakers for a low-budget, better than stock system off of h/u power. If you want anything high end, Sony should be near the end of your list.
Personally I would take my stockers over Sonys..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.