Sony XAV-AX100 Head Unit Fastener Question

kc27

CarAudio.com Newbie
MKE
I no longer have the screws used to attach the bracket to the Sony XAV-AX100 head unit. The manual states that four screws of this size are needed:
5 × max. 8 mm
(7/32 × max. 5/16 in)

Can anyone tell me what size screws to purchase? I took the above specs to Ace Hardware, but they were unable to decipher what size screws I need. Is this a unique size that needs to be purchased from a car audio installer?

I took the unit and a bracket into the hardware store with me. You need 6 self-tapping sheet metal screws. Since you will bind sheet metal to sheet metal, you will need pan head screws. I recommend Phillips head, but you can get something else you prefer if you have the correct driver for it.

The specification for sheet metal screw sizes is almost how Sony specified it. See: https://resources.tannerbolt.com/ar...-a-glance-machine-sheet-metal-and-cap-screws/ section: Sheet Metal Screws.

7/32 - I think this is the sheet metal screw size diameter, in inches. Seeing: https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Sheet-Metal-Screws/Sheet-Metal-Screw-Diameter.aspx
... I guess that is going to be a #12 sheet metal screw.

Max 5/16 in or Max 8mm means maximum length of the threaded screw body (from the tip to under the pan head). If you screw something longer than this, the screw will smash the electronic components inside and, I guess, destroy the stereo.

If the shortest screws you can find are too long, then you may be able to use some washers to reduce the effective depth. Or in my case, the guy at the hardware store ground off the tips for me.

Last edited:
Post from Nov last year and hasn't been seen since the day after he posted that ?. SO I highly doubt he needs the information now.
Terrific input. It's hard to imagine two people having the same question more than a day apart. It also seems pretty insane that someone might Google something and end up here, hoping for answers.

I'm glad they didn't return and give more advice like this. No head unit anywhere, will require you to use sheet metal screws to connect to its own bracket.

The only difference between the screws I got with my bracket and sheet metal screws is the lack of a self-tapping end. Both taper and have a defined final diameter. That's 10 seconds with a grinder to turn one into the other. As mounting is concerned, it's the same thing, buy what's available.

The only difference between the screws I got with my bracket and sheet metal screws is the lack of a self-tapping end. Both taper and have a defined final diameter. That's 10 seconds with a grinder to turn one into the other. As mounting is concerned, it's the same thing, buy what's available.
I'm not going to have this conversation with you. No that's not what OP needed. You don't need self-tapping screws nor would they be the right choice if you just grind them down.

Here is the manual.
158XAV100 (crutchfieldonline.com)

Here is the screw. (pg 23)

I'm out.
/thread.

It's not a sheetmetal screw it's a (presumably metric) machine screw. Not only is a self tapping metal screw wrong, it's likely to lead to metal shavings inside the HU.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...