Sonotube build - JL 13W3v3, suspended in trunk

True to the flex, but it IS a round enclosure and the general nature of that shape will not allow much if any flex unless it is strong enough to actually start to break the tube itself, just like a gas cylinder or the like, round is the strongest shape for pressure. Those tubes are really pretty robust as well...Cool Idea, I actually thought about trying that a month or so ago..

^ Yes, but there is a lot of pressure inside of a sub enclosure and you dont want the walls of the enclosure to distort.

No matter how you look at it that is a cardboard sub box. Not to mention it is barely being held on by a pair of wood screws going through some sheet metal....

Im not trying to hate on the OP's stuff here, but Ive used those tubes before and I would never consider using one as an enclosure unless it was reinforced.

Did something similar. 13" outside diam cardboard tube and 12" inside. Made it for a 10" sub and tuned it to 30 hz. Tubes I get free from my job.

I expiremented with the flex issue by using multiple ratchet straps around the outside of the tube and had no gain. We are also talking about a tube with a thickness of 1/2" compared to one with 1/8".

DSCF0719.jpg

DSCF0721.jpg

DSCF0722.jpg

Sry if I thread jacked.

Also a good way to keep the tubes in place. Can also make half round brackets with straps. Works well as another means for keeping in place.

Looks like a good build. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Looks good but that cant be very strong, the walls of that tube are cardboard and there isnt any fiberglass in there to reinforce it.
No need for that. Since you are dealing with a circular form, vibrations are spread evenly around the circle and because it's a circle there is no expansion.

the only thing im worried about if I were to do this, is if my baffle or end cap were even just a little bit off there would be a leak. Plus I don't have a router so if I used a jig saw i'd have to make a perfect cut.
Take your time using the jigsaw and you will be fine. Use silicone to seal the enclosure.

I would assume it depends on the install. Being right on the edge some waves might roll off the side and create issues. Though being in a small trunk that might not make much of a difference...
?

No reinforcement? Shoulda put a couple layers of glass on it. Having a cardboard enclosure means its going to flex like hell.
Nope. See above.

Here's a link to my writeup on it:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6031097#post6031097

^ Yes, but there is a lot of pressure inside of a sub enclosure and you dont want the walls of the enclosure to distort.
No matter how you look at it that is a cardboard sub box. Not to mention it is barely being held on by a pair of wood screws going through some sheet metal....

Im not trying to hate on the OP's stuff here, but Ive used those tubes before and I would never consider using one as an enclosure unless it was reinforced.

Picture several thousand pounds of concrete filling a cardboard tube 24" round with 3/16" thick walls. I don't think a sub could duplicate that much pressure.

There is no need for any reinforcement of these tubes. Believe me, I've been down that road and found no advantage whatsoever using any type of reinforcement.

Looks like a good build. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

No need for that. Since you are dealing with a circular form, vibrations are spread evenly around the circle and because it's a circle there is no expansion.

Take your time using the jigsaw and you will be fine. Use silicone to seal the enclosure.

?

Nope. See above.

Here's a link to my writeup on it:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6031097#post6031097
Haha, I was waiting for you to see this. Glad you like it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

There is no need for any reinforcement of these tubes. Believe me, I've been down that road and found no advantage whatsoever using any type of reinforcement.
Which is why I did the strap test myself, to test the theory of reinforcement to none.

Picture several thousand pounds of concrete filling a cardboard tube 24" round with 3/16" thick walls. I don't think a sub could duplicate that much pressure.
Good point, seeing as there is uniform pressure. Still scares me a little bit though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.