Something a little different!

brfwizard

Hi all,

Found this place and I am hoping someone can help. This is something diff but my goal here is to build a very loud carry able boombox. Hope I can get some answers to my various questions. Will try to make it simple as possible and not be confusing.

I want to build a very loud but hopefully clearer boom box. I have been looking at various speaker manufactures for the last 3 weeks straight trying to decide what to use. Was originally going to get high spl 8" pro speakers but freq kind of lacks so might have to go with 2 or 3 way design. Was looking at rockwell,db drive and a few other speaker manufacturers like vibe black death 6x9's or appropriately "the loudest . com" 6x9 but these are mainly only available in u.k. and can't get shipped to u.s.a. "the loudest" is a monster with 2000w per pair and spl of 94 if you haven't seen it. Anyway when I get into component or separate speakers I get lost and not quite sure how crossovers work but all 3 way or 2way sets I've seen is not at the spl level I would like And If I build my own sets then get stuck with trying to figure out crossovers to use and gets messy especially at 2 ohms.

A class D 2 channel amp will be pushing 550 watts per channel at the one I have my eye set on at 2 ohms. Could spend more and get one to push 775 watts at 2 ohm stable but hope for cost wise 55o watts per channel works for me.

I will be building a custom box to hold these speakers,amp,single din radio and maybe a active crossover possibly if that's the answer. Trying to stay with in Larger 80's boombox style size but going to be a hair bigger to fit speakers i want.

Basically I have everything worked out but stuck at crossover and speakers. I would like some bass but most pro 8" only go down to 90 htz or so to 5-10 khtz. Not sure if enough bass or high enough treble. Was kind of impressed with hifonics 8" sqaure video but don't think music would play decent since it almost looks like it would be good guitar type speaker.

Anybody have any speaker suggestions? posted wattage of amp and would like highest spl with widest freq range available to purchase in usa. I know there is expensive speakers out there but most likely want 8'' componets of some type or 8'' separate posted with some kind of crossover or 6x9's.

I know probably asking a lot but if you are a speaker enthusiast then you understand where I am coming from. Would like to make sure money is well spent with quality and loudest considered.

I will be posting a you tube vid of build most likely by feb if i can get things figured out with parts ordered.

What are you using to power it? What amp are you planning on using? What are your goals with it? Been done many times over and I may be able to help you out and avoid the normal pitfalls

ive done it. making it portable is the problem - mine was heavy as heck

ill try to post a pic. the top 2 are medium size boom boxes from the 80s

bottom box was the one i made using 1/2" particle type board.

it had a kenetik 600 size car audio battery inside it - wired to a small 2ch car stereo amp

on the top of the unit had a on off switch i wired to the remote spot on amp. - used a i pod plug to rca left and right to let i pod control the unit completely. and installed + and - charging posts up top to attach car battery charger to.

speakers were a pair of home stereo cabnet that i found in the trash a while back so i wired them up to left and right on the amp - using the crossovers and all the speakers out of each stereo cabnet ( those were 12" woofers ) + sealed back mids and tweets.

it was loud - clean - clear - and it rocked the party for about 5 hours straight before needing recharge. but = the battery eventually died from not charging it enough and it all got raped for its parts to build something else.

ps the tape deck and eq were just photoshoped on the one i built to see how it might of looked

another option you may look at is rc car batterys. they are light years ahead of anyone else in battery performence vs weight.

they have something called "li po" batterys now that basicly have no hard case and are crazy powerfull vs their weight.

maby building it out of some materials that can be stiff but still light weight.

if i was to build mine again - i would of used 1/4" plywood and the smallest / lightest car stereo amp i could find. ( and i would of put wheels on the bottom )

No sorry left out some details.....

Will be mounting a crown xls 1000 pro/dj amp inside. Has smaller footprint than normal rack mount amp. Amp is only 9 lbs. Amp is light due to new switching power supply. Puts out 550 watts per channel x 2 at 2 ohms. Don't need battery. Guess I meant portable as too carry not free from power source. Want loud and figure be maybe 35lbs hopefully finished. Will be carrying it into work to car to garage etc. Crown amp has rca's and accept 1.4 volts up to 9 volts inputs so will also install single din car deck which will give cd,mp3,fm radio etc. Hopefully fm reception will be a plus. Seems car decks are better than most radios. All of this will be contained in a box with speakers maybe 20-30 inches wide by by roughly 8-10 inches thick by maybe 12-14 inches high. Don't think it will be square like classic boombox. Front will be flat with speakers and deck and sides angled 60 degress maybe with more speakers to disperse sound over large area if i want. Already talked to crown No problems there. Can't really get box dimensions right until I figure out speakers. Most likely will be ported because of size and hopefully increase bass a bit depending on speakers. Thinking 8's or 6.5's. was thinking screw it and just throw in 8 in square hifonics full range but not sure how good it would sound but would be easier to hook up. If i go with 4 hifonics crown advised going with their 1500. Which would put me at 775 watts per side or 2 hifonics since they are rated at 200 rms/400 peak per speaker. How good is music at 90 htz-10 khtz?? acceptable at that wattage? I know it's not greatest speaker for bass but will it be ok? crown amp also has electronic crossover built in.

build it. if you dont like its results - change the design a bit this way or that way....

i believe your building to un charted terratory.

my vote is to put it on wheels.

its going to end up being tripple what you want it to weigh.

Thanks for reply,

Yeah speaks are 32 lbs alone then amp so 42 then wood. yeah heavier I think than was thinking. Would love to make out of granite. Knew someone once had sub box out of granite then bolted down to trunk. No flex what so ever but heavy. Looks like may go with thick plexi. Not sure i guess now.

I ordered speaker I was planning to use and tested it for a few days. I am not happy with how it sounds. Just not enough bass but does go really loud and clear. I decided to use some beefy 3 way 6x9's I found but have some questions. The speakers I found now are basically component 6x9's with external crossovers. Can i some how parallel these to drop from 4ohms to 2 ohms?. I know regular speakers i can but when it comes to trying to do it with crossovers not sure if you can. I cannot find an answer to this. My amp is 2 ohm stable but only 2 channel and want to be able to run 2 6x9's per channel for total of 4. If this isn't do able then hopefully somebody can tell me some kick butt 6x9's that don't have crossovers I can use instead.

You would do best shopping for component speakers on partsexpress.com as opposed to trying to buy low-end car audio brands. There's often some really good deals and most of the stuff worth buying generally has plenty of reviews/feedback from people who own them.

You would do best shopping for component speakers on partsexpress.com as opposed to trying to buy low-end car audio brands. There's often some really good deals and most of the stuff worth buying generally has plenty of reviews/feedback from people who own them.

Don't care much for parts express but since you say low end audio how do these car audio 6x9 stats stack up to your specs? Guess people don't understand what i'm trying to do.

Specifications (per pair):

Power Handling (Peak)

2,000 watts

Power Continuous (RMS)

580 watts total

540 watts (speakers)

40 watts (tweeters)

Frequency Response

32 Hz - 25 kHz

Sensitivity

92.01 dB

Impedance

4 ohms

Resonant Frequency (Fs)

48.4 Hz

Total Equivalent Factor (Qts)

Vol of Acoustic Susp. (Vas)

10.5623 lit

Linear Excursion (Xmax)

6.4 mm

Displacement Volume (Vd)

0.001857 cuft

Tweeter

1.6" Titanium Dome

Crossover

6 dB / slope

Mounting Depth

12 cm

Don't care much for parts express but since you say low end audio how do these car audio 6x9 stats stack up to your specs? Guess people don't understand what i'm trying to do.

Specifications (per pair):

Power Handling (Peak)

2,000 watts

Power Continuous (RMS)

580 watts total

540 watts (speakers)

40 watts (tweeters)

Frequency Response

32 Hz - 25 kHz

Sensitivity

92.01 dB

Impedance

4 ohms

Resonant Frequency (Fs)

48.4 Hz

Total Equivalent Factor (Qts)

Vol of Acoustic Susp. (Vas)

10.5623 lit

Linear Excursion (Xmax)

6.4 mm

Displacement Volume (Vd)

0.001857 cuft

Tweeter

1.6" Titanium Dome

Crossover

6 dB / slope

Mounting Depth

12 cm

Those "specs" show me that those speakers are utter garbage with 10X inflated power ratings to trick uneducated buyers into forking over their herd earned money. There isn't a single legitimate company that has a product worth using that needs to lie about what it will and will not do to sell them.

Do what you like, though. You got my 2 cents worth take it or leave it.

I understand where your coming from. I have searched literally for 3 mths straight for speakers. Believe me they are true specs. You see u.s.a. does not get these speakers. Don't ask me why. Most 6x9's are in or around the 100 watt rms rating. These are not. I do know about inflated wattage. There is a lot out there but these are not. Actually specs are off because rms is actually 290 watts per 6x9 not 350. There is 15 pages of raving reviews for these speakers. I've done my research these are $315 for the componet set to my door. And yes found someone to send them to me. They also offer a coaxial set at around $280 i think but only handle 180 rms but a tad higher sensitivity and don't go as low. There is 2 other speaker companys that make speakers like these and yep not here in usa. One is actually manufactured or based here in u.s.a but sold elsewhere and also one manufactured in new zealand but doesn't sell here also with close to these specs. These 6x9's are huge...magnets alone are 132 oz per speaker. Here's a pic.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.